Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion ZE4900
Microsoft Windows XP

How do I remove the hard drive from my HP Pavilion ZE4900 so I can replace it?

I can't figure out how to release it so I can pull it out.

I have polled very hard on the door but it won't budge.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

See chapter 5, page 5-6 of the service manual for how to remove the hard drive.

http://www.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00226047.pdf

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

See chapter 5, page 5-6 of the service manual for how to remove the hard drive.

http://www.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00226047.pdf

HP Recommended

@TomRK1

HP Pavilion ze4900 Notebook PC series - FRU Remove/Replace Videos

https://h20574.www2.hp.com/results.htm?SID=430813&MEID=66501BD5-CA01-43E8-B360-34789CAB5106

Click on Hard Disk Drive.

REO

HP Recommended

Perfect. Thank you.

Now I have another question. Can anyone recommend a Mini PCI 802.11n wireless LAN board to replace the 802.11g board that came with my HP Pavilon ze4900?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Back in those days, HP employed a BIOS whitelist which prevents anyone from installing any other wlan card other than the ones listed in the service manual.

If you were to install a wlan card not listed in the manual, the PC won't boot up until the offending card is removed.

Since your notebook has a wireless G card and there were no wireless N cards available at the time or listed in the service manual, your only option for getting N speeds would be to use an external usb wireless network adapter.

HP Recommended

Is there an updated BIOS for the HP ze4900 that does not include a WIFI whitelist? If so, how do I get it? If not, can I modify the existing BIOS?

HP Recommended

There are no BIOS updates that would not include a BIOS whitelist.

The latest BIOS update that I can find for your notebook was F.16.

As you can see from the release notes, the BIOS update does not add support for additional wlan cards.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp31001-31500/sp31140.html

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp31001-31500/sp31140.exe

I would have no idea how or where to find a hacked ze4900 BIOS, if one even exists.

You can google the subject, and see what you can find.

As far as I'm aware, this forum has no info like that.

There are BIOS hacking websites online that have related info.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help. I will not pursue mini PCI wireless N card any further.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.