Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

The laptop keyboard has no Scroll Lock key. How do I emulate it? Maybe the fn key combined with something?

(Note that I am asking only about the keyboard, not anything to do with the mouse. Scroll Lock is used with applications such as Microsoft Excel to control whether the arrow keys cause the selection to move or the display to scroll.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yeah, I thought it was strange the HP guy asked for details (because there are so many popular OSes that run on a Pavilion g7 he couldn't possibly list solutions for all of them) and disappeared.

I agree the onscreen keyboard is inconvenient if you want to switch scroll lock state often.  If you can live without some other key on the keyboard (maybe the "QuickWeb key" which is where F5 is supposed to be) you could modify the Windows registry to map it to scroll lock.  One fairly convenient way to do that is with a program called SharpKeys from http://www.randyrants.com/sharpkeys/.  Click Add, click Type Key in the left column, press the key you want to use, click OK, select Special: Scroll Lock in the right column, click OK, click Write to Registry, and it should work after your next reboot.  (I haven't tried this with Scroll Lock, but it should work.)  Or AutoHotKey.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hey breyed,

What operating system are you using? Depending on the operating system will depend on how to resolve the issue.

Thanks!

Sean

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Windows 7. Soon, I'll want to know for Windows 8 as well.

HP Recommended

One way on Windows is with the on-screen keyboard.

On Windows 7, click the Start buttonAll ProgramsAccessoriesEase of Access, and then On-Screen Keyboard.  When the keyboard appears, click the ScrLk button.

HP Recommended

Good point about the on-screen keyboard. Quite inconvenient, unfortunately. Hacking something together with AutoHotKey would probably be better. I was really hoping that HP support would address this issue. It's disappointing to have the HP guy, SeanS, ask about details, ask for a blue kudos star if he helped, but then disappear into the ether for a couple months and counting.

HP Recommended

Yeah, I thought it was strange the HP guy asked for details (because there are so many popular OSes that run on a Pavilion g7 he couldn't possibly list solutions for all of them) and disappeared.

I agree the onscreen keyboard is inconvenient if you want to switch scroll lock state often.  If you can live without some other key on the keyboard (maybe the "QuickWeb key" which is where F5 is supposed to be) you could modify the Windows registry to map it to scroll lock.  One fairly convenient way to do that is with a program called SharpKeys from http://www.randyrants.com/sharpkeys/.  Click Add, click Type Key in the left column, press the key you want to use, click OK, select Special: Scroll Lock in the right column, click OK, click Write to Registry, and it should work after your next reboot.  (I haven't tried this with Scroll Lock, but it should work.)  Or AutoHotKey.

HP Recommended

The SharpKeys hack of remapping the QuickWeb key assumes that I don't need F5, right? The first thing I did when I got the laptop was flip the BIOS setting to turn the function keys back into function keys.

HP Recommended

It's good to hear there's a BIOS setting for that.  I was unaware.

Yes, this hack requires that you steal some key of the keyboard so it no longer performs its current function and instead works as Scroll Lock.  Maybe you don't need the "QuickWeb key" which you currently get when you press Fn+F5.  That would affect only Fn+F5 and would leave F5 without Fn alone.

HP Recommended

Running SharpKeys and mapping “Web: Home” to “Special: Scroll Lock” worked prefectly. I like how it's a passive solution: no app needs to intercept and replace the keystroke. Thanks AnotherLarry!

HP Recommended
Ok my fellow ppl. I'll tell you how. On the scroll pad there is either a small light or depression on the top side of the scroll pad. Double tap on that and you see it activate your scroll pad. That's how you turn it off and on.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.