Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-ab150sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a new Pavilion notebook, pre-loaded with Windows 10.  (Product ID  00325-80081-29417-AAOEM.) The internal microphone works, but picks up such a weak signal that it is useless.  I have changed the microphone settings to maximise them; I have downloaded updated drivers for the mic itself and for the sound card; I have calibrated it for voice recognition etc.; I have done all general Windows updates. Any improvement is only marginal.  Where do I go next?    

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello @NorrieR,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I have read your post and understand . I have researched the issue and have come up with a possible resolution. First, please perform a hard reset. Once that is complete, please follow the steps in this document: 

HP PCs - Resolving microphone problems (Windows 10, 😎

If the document did not help you resolve the issue, try restoring the BIOS and then check for windows updates.

Thank you, I look forward to your response with the outcome.

If this post has helped you, feel free to click the thumbs up!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for this response.  I seem to have solved the problem - but with a simpler method than the  one which you suggested.  This may be useful to you for other similar enquiries (which - after I posted here for the first time, I have noticed come up very frequently on web forums).

I simply uninstalled the Realtek High Definition Audio drivers, using device manager. Immediately (without installing any replacement drivers), the microphone worked perfectly. I then rebooted the laptop - and Windows automaticaly re-installed the drivers (and thus the microphone stopped working again). By going into device manager again, and clicking on 'Roll Back Drivers', it reverted to the functional state, and the forum where I saw this fix tells me that Windows should remember the roll-back, and desist from re-installing again.

Hope this is useful. It seems odd that HP continue to ship machines loaded with drivers which are apparently well-known not to work with the pre-installed operating system. 

HP Recommended

Hello @NorrieR,

Thank you for the reply!

I do value this information and will be sure to share it with any other customers that are experiencing similar issues.

Thank you.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.