cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
FatihS
Level 2
14 13 1 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Possible Solution to Switchable Graphics on Intel HD Graphics 4000 & AMD Radeon 7670m (Code:43)

HP Recommended

Hello Everybody,

I want to share my findings about switch issues and a fix for Code:43 error instead of waiting for a BIOS update.

Note: This may apply as well as to Windows 8, not tested yet though.

Notebook: HP Envy Ultrabook 6-1000et (Core I5, Intel HD Graphics 4000 & AMD Radeon 7670M)

PN: B6H42EA

SN: Not needed.

Product Specs: Here

Issue: AMD driver from most of offical HP softpaqs generally can not be installed in anyway, despite several of them could be installed but still AMD is reporting Code:43 and AMD Catalyst Center won't start stating that AMD GPU does not exist on system or its driver or hardware unit is failed, not supported. 

Attempts: I tried almost any AMD softpaqs available through HP web-site & HP Support Assistant Scans and none of them was helpful. So decided to go deeper into the trouble. Recovery done, test OS installed, Bios updates, rollbacks completed. Tried like ten softpaqs of AMD Graphics still not working.

Below are steps that fixed the problem.

(Take your precautions as I don't want your unit to be broken after all, do not try these steps if you feel like your computer will be failed or won't survive steps.)

Steps:

1. Make sure your BIOS is the latest.

2. Uninstall AMD & Intel Drivers from device manager with a tick to delete software as well. Check Programs and Features to locate any remaining graphics softwares.

3. Download driver sweeper or similar application to purge remaining dlls of graphics software. Disable Windows Update Driver Auto-Install settings including downloading stuff from Microsoft Update.

4. Download Intel HD Graphics 4000 Driver from Offical Intel Web-site: 

Link

5. Download AMD 7670m Driver directly from AMD Web-site: Direct link does not work, go to site and download.

Link

6. Install Intel HD Graphics 4000 driver and restart computer. You will notice that Intel will be working fine now. But AMD still has Code:43 with a warning icon on Device Manager.

7. Install AMD Driver and make sure you give permission 'Trust software from this publisher (AMD)'. Restart Computer.

8. You may (As I did) notice AMD will still have Code:43 but it is already been installed. Switchable graphics shortcut does not still exist on right-click menu of Desktop.

9. Now, go to HP Web-site and download 1st (Original) version of  your BIOS and install it.

10. Get back to Device Manager and check Display Adapters: Now both AMD and Intel is working fine and you see 'Manage Switchable Graphics' does exist and working on your Desktop right-click Menu. 

11. Install latest BIOS version of your notebook, and you are done.

What do you have on your computer now? 

- Latest BIOS update.

- Latest Intel & AMD drivers installed.

- No more Code:43.

- Switchable graphics that really work.

--------------------------------------------&&&&&&&&&----------------------------------------------------

Now to talk about PES-2013 and AMD relationship on HP notebooks. 

- After main problem solved. I decided to install PES 2013 (Pro Evolution Soccer 2013) to see if it really won't be assigned to AMD at all or not.

Applications Used: 

• PES 2013
  • Unigine Heaven Benchmark

Notebooks Used: (Numbers are as IDs stated after the list below)

1 - Envy Ultrabook 6-1000et B6H42EA (4000 & 7670M) Windows 7

2 - Pavilion 15-e060st E1T76EA (4000 & 8670M) Windows 8

3 - Pavilion 15-n096st E7G99EA (8610G & 8670M) Windows 8.1 Pro

4 - Pavilion G7-2110st B7S27EA (4000 & 7670M) Windows 7

5 - ENVY 14-2050ET BEATS EDITION LS776EA (HD Graphics & 6630M) SUPPORTED on BOTH BIOS & DESKTOP COMPLETE SWITCH RATHER THAN ASSIGNING APPLICATIONS. Windows 7

6 - Another Pavilion 15 with only Intel HD Graphics 4000 on it. (Can't remember it's specs.) Can add details if requested later. Windows 8

Resolution:

After Assigning PES 2013 to High Performance, it will still show Intel HD graphics activated on settings.exe (Pes-2013) but it's quite clear that game is actually running on AMD Graphics regarding notebooks number 1,2,3,4. There were no FPS drops and quite seamless gameplay experience. 

I have confirmed this by running Unigine Heaven Benchmark on all notebooks:

Number 1: Allows application running only on AMD, it's locked.

Number 2: Application states it's on Intel 4000 but it's clear that by observing FPS, it's running on AMD, confirmed by checking FPS value of benchmark from Number 6.

Number 3: Application does not state which GPU is activated. But again by FPS, it's on AMD.

Number 4: Application runs on AMD.

Number 5: A very lucky unit which has Switchable Graphics are fully supported by BIOS. On this unit, it's always correct what you have assigned, PES-2013 and benchmark application reports were fully correct. Only on this laptop I seen Settings.exe (PES-2013) reported AMD is the selected GPU. This is very important finding.

Number 6: Reference Unit.

These are my test results, it may vary on setup/notebook you have used. But seems like there is not any problem at least on my side.

I've posted these to help people who are in need. If it fixes your problems, then I am glad to be helped out.

Result may not be the same for your computers but it worthes a try.

7 REPLIES 7
FatihS
Author
Level 2
14 13 1 0
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

UPDATE (REGARDING ENVY ULTRABOOK 6-1000)

Latest BIOS crashes with 0xFE* and on next reboot, both AMD and INTEL catch Code:43.

FIX ATTEMP I:

It's same thing again: Downgrade BIOS to first release and upgrade to latest one (F.23 -> F.05 -> F.23).

FIX ATTEMPT II (PERMANENT SOLUTION):

F.0F is the latest BIOS version which does not 'RELATED' to Windows 8 and so on. Install it and you won't have anymore problems.

*: 0xFE is related to 'loosened' web-cam cable (Unknown USB driver) but it's funny it fails the GPU configuration somehow. If I press onto WEB-CAM with my finger, unknown USB driver vanishes and web-cam gets back into action.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
dentinho
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Hi, I av an HP pavilion 15 with Intel HD 4000 and amd radeon 8670m.my problem is when I assign some games to the amd graphics, the games do not display but the audio of the game can be heard.pls if you can help me.I am tired of playing games with the Intel GPU.
Dunidar
Retired
Retired
5,889 6,245 451 1,229
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello dentinho

Although, you posted that you have an HP Pavilion 15 there are variations of this computer. I would encourage you to post your product number for your computer. I am linking an HP Support document below that will show you how to find your product number. As well, if you could indicate which operating system you are using. And whether your operating system is 32-bit or 64-bit as with this and the product number we can provide you with accurate information.

How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Which Windows operating system am I running?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows/which-operating-system

Is the Windows Version on My Computer 32-bit or 64-bit?

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02033168

I would like to thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
zaiplanet
Level 1
7 7 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
my envy ultrabook 4 - 1114tx windows 8 pro 64 bit (i5 3317U 1.7ghz, HD4000 & AMD 7670m)
Switchable Graphics dont work, only HD4000 work. My bios F23
Dunidar
Retired
Retired
5,889 6,245 451 1,229
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello zaiplanet

As I understand it you need your graphics drivers for your HP ENVY Ultrabook 4 - 1114tx. I am linking you here to your drivers for Windows 8 64-bit. I would suggest that you start with the Chipset drivers and ensure that ALL the drivers and software is up to date.

I hope this helps resolve your Switchable Graphics issue. Thank you for posting your issue on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
abofares
3 3 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

my envy sleekbook 6 - 1090ee windows 7 pro 64 bit (1.7 GHz Intel Core i5-3317U, HD4000 & AMD 7670m)

Product Number
B6X76EA

Switchable Graphics dont work, only HD4000 work. My bios F23

plz help me ???

TauseefJShah
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I am Tauseef, I have recently purchased HP Pavilion 15-p030ne 
I am facing problems with my Graphic card (with my extremely limited technical skills), I cant figure out how can I change mobile Display to Intel Hd Graphics display from settings. I also install Intel HD Graphics driver/application 4000 and tried to change adapter settings from there but I cant do it from there as well. 

Spent whole God **bleep** night trying to figure this one out and kinda hate I change my laptop, Please if someone could help.

I have Win7 32 bit (prefer 32 bit coz I enjoy playing some games over Lan with my younger brothers). They are here visiting me for few days and this stupid computer spoiled one who **bleep** day. Please assist, I will really appreciate any assistance in this regard.

Skpye: TauseefJamal

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation