Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have had my Pavilion dv8 for a few months now.  A month or two after I received it, I began experiencing problems with the slider treble/bass control.  It would sporadically pop up and start changing the treble or bass at random intervals.  It also randomly disconnected me from my wireless connection.  I thought this might just have something to do with the slider being dirty, but after several attempts of cleaning it, it still remains a problem.  At first it was just a little annoying, fixed by clicking the mouse or pressing the top internet button, but now it's REALLY annoying, even popping up as I write this post.  Does anyone have any solutions?  Am I the only one experiencing this problem?  I haven't seen any other posts.  Is "slider thing" the right term?

Thank you for any help,

Alex

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@ Snooker and everyone else.

Here are the youtube videos, I started a new thread in Hardware, this one is getting too long.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware/dv8-and-HDX-Series-OSD-Pop-Up-Solution/m-p/816295#M51...

View solution in original post

301 REPLIES 301
HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem! Very annoying.... Any good advices?

HP Recommended

Step 1:  Go to the Support & Drivers page for your specific notebook.  Type in your P/N (Product Number).  Select your operating system.  Then go down and select BIOS and download/run the BIOS update.

Step 2:  Perform a hard reset by powering the computer off and then removing the power cord and battery.  Let the unit sit without power for at least 1 minute and then power it back on.

Step 3:  Reinstall the HP Quick Launch Buttons and HP Tone Control Software.  Go into the Control Panel and select "Programs and Features" or uninstall a program.  Find the HP Quick Launch Buttons software and uninstall it, then find the HP Tone Control software and uninstall it.  Then, go to the start menu and type "Device Manager" into the start search field and then select it from the list above.  Go to the keyboard section.  Right-click on the PS/2 keyboard with QLB and select uninstall - make sure to check the box that says to also delete the driver software.  Restart the system.  Reinstall the software from the links below:

HP Quick Launch Buttons

HP Tone Control Utility

HP Recommended

I have a dv6t with the same problem but only when it is docked. I was on the phone w/tech spt for 1 1/2 hrs to fix it but I still have the same problem plus now the system will not boot up when docked.  I have already had the docking station replaced to fix the pop-up of the audio status bar/top slider bar (treble/bass control).  I was told there was a static electricity problem with the original docking station but the replacement one displays the audio status bar too if I touch the front display.  At least now I know what causes it!

I went through the static electricity discharge process with the tech but today that didn't fix the failure to boot up when docked.  So now I am using the dock for a laptop holder and just plugging the power into the laptop & not the dock.

So far I am not impressed with my new system--this is my 1st laptop so I'm still learning.

Judy

Judy
HP Recommended

I have had this same problem with the treble/bass slider showing up at random and sliding back and forth. Associated with this the HP Wireless Assistant would randomly turn on and off the wireless connection. I noted before these events that the fan would get louder and a CPU monitor would show marked increased activity. Looking at Processes on Windows Task Manager a program called CLMLsvc.exe was very active. This is a CyberLink (DVD, photo,etc) program that came preinstalled on the computer. I'm not sure if its just a trial version on what. Since uninstalling all CyberLink software the problems seems to have stopped. At least I am keeping my fingers crossed. If this is the problem I hope HP will get rid of the CyberLink stuff.

HP Recommended

Further observation. The above helps but doesn't solve the problem.

HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem, tryign said suggestion now, will post if it helps any.

HP Recommended

It did not help.

HP Recommended

It did not help me either =(

HP Recommended

I have tried this protocol twice, but the problem persists.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.