Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

i'm looking to upgrade the RAM in my laptop, and was wondering if the max ram in the specifications page for my product on this site is for the OS or the MotherBoards actual max capacity.  In the specifications it says that the max is 8GB, and on another page about the specifications the WIN7 Home Premium max is 16GB.  So was just wondering before i buy ram if 8GB is the max it will work with or if I can go ahead and use the 16GB. 

link to my computers specifications (indicates max RAM of 8GB)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?

docname=c02481138&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=4308941

link to WIN 7 specifications via RAM upgrades page (this is near the bottom of page says 16GB for WIN 7 Home Permium)

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00820047

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

The Windows version can limit memory usage even if hardware would allow more but it cannot override and add more capacity if the hardware is limited.

Crucial.com confirms the max is 8 gigs:

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Pavilion%20dm4-1160us

This is very reliable becasue if crucial could sell you bigger, more expensive memory modules they would so they keep on top of the issue and often find out from testing that computers can handle more memory than the mfr. says. Just not in this case.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" so others can find it.

HP Recommended
The WIN7 specifications that states 16GB means that 64bit WIN 7 Home Permium can handle upto 16GB of memory if the hardware or the system supports it. Suppose if your system supports 32GB of memory in total and you install Win7 home premium you will be able to utilize only 16GB though your system supports 32GB, it is the amount of memory supported by the OS rather than the hardware. Actually, the page you are looking at is general "adding memory" article not specific to any system. Hope that helps!
Best Regards,
John

Hi,

I'd like to buy RAM upgrade. I currently have 2x2GB=4GB.

1. Do I have a third slot to put another 4GB?

2. Would it be better to just buy 2 x 4GB and get 8GB? or just replace one of the 2GB with 4GB?

HP Recommended

->RT-Pavilion

1.  No you do not have a third memory slot.  You have only 2.  You will have to replace one or both of the existing SO-DIMMs

2. 6GB ought to be enough. I have 8GB (upgraded from 3GB though).  More is thought to be better and if you get a matched pair of 4GB SO-DIMMs (or an 8GB 2x4GB kit) you can take advantage of dual channel architecture.  This is supposed to be higher speed.  An 8GB upgrade will cost twice as much as 1 x 4GB ($30 vs $15).  Programs have historically needed more memory as time passes.

Woodwood

9.January.2016

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.