Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I bought this Split x 2 a week ago and it came with WIndows 8. Everything was working fine until I upgraded to WIndows 8.1. Now my Touchpad will freeze some times and I have to log out and log back in to my profile to unfreeze the touchpad other times I can get it to unfreeze by resetting the release touch screen buttom.

I called HP customer service and they said it was a Microsoft issue and transfer me to them. Microsoft said it was a hardware (HP) Issue and that i needed to go back to the store where I bought it
(BestBuy). I took it back yesterday to BestBuy and they gave me a knew one. I did the same thing and upgraded to Windows 8.1 and touchpad issues is back. So pretty sure is not a hardware issue.

All windows updates are completed

I checked the Touchpad's Driver and it is up to date.

NOTE: I plugged a wireless mouse to my laptop and when the touchpad freezes the wireless mouse still works.

Does anyone know a fix for this issue? Everything else works great on the laptop is just very inconvenient when you are working and you have to log out to get your touchpat to work again.

Any help would be appreaciate it.

Jhon C

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

this worked for me.

Go to Generic USB Hub (both of them) in Device Manager.

Go to the Power Management tab

Uncheck the box about allowing the computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart.

My touch pad had stopped while searching for a solution on this forum. I "unchecked " the boxes and the touchpad came bacxk to life before the restart. It has been working ever since. (three days)

View solution in original post

76 REPLIES 76
HP Recommended

I am having the same exact issue.  Uninstalling the synaptics driver worked for a while but it has already come back.  Clearly its a windows 8.1 issue.  If you remove the tablet / monitor from the keyboad and put it back it works for a while again.  This is really frustrating.  If you look across the web there are laptops having this issue due to windows 8.1.  Microsoft / Synaptics need to get their crap together.

HP Recommended

I did the upgrade to 8.1 and when I disconnected the tablet I experienced a lot of freezing and when connected, the touch pad didnt work. I checked the drivers and did the BIOS updated but was still having the problem. I was told that they didnt have an update for 8.1 ( whatever that means) so I had to restore my PC to factory settings, which deleted everything and I basically had to start from scratch. If i'm getting problems upgrading from 8 to 8.1 does this mean that I wont be able to do any upgrades in the future?  I hope there's a fix soon.

HP Recommended
I probably should have not done the upgrade so soon. But i wanted the start buttom on my desktop since i work on IT sales. I want to shown customers how cool windows 8.1 is :)...The wireless mouse has been a good work around for me in the meantime.I haven't had any locking/freezing issues with it so far...I do hope they release an update soon. I will keep you posted if something changes...Merry Christmas everyone.
HP Recommended

Touchpad was working fine in Win8, once I upgraded to 8.1 and installed the latest drivers, issues started. Touchpad just stops working. Sometimes the touchscreen stops working also..  Very frustrating.  Yes, undocking/redocking works. Sometimes in tablet mode the touchscreen stops too.. have to redock/undock.... grrrrrrr..  might just uninstall the drivers all together and see how that works

HP Recommended

Well glad to see more people are coming out and saying something.  At this point its been a few months since 8.1's release.  Its insane that this hasn't been solved.  HP anyword on getting your drivers fixed for 8.1??? Can't you put some pressure on your vendors?  

HP Recommended

Synaptics has new drivers, they are v 17.0.19, where as the latest driver DL from HP is ver 17.0.10.

When I tried to install v17.0.19 from Synaptics it fails for an "unkown reason".  I think maybe it is not approved/signed by  MS or something like that. (??)

Anyway, when the screen is docked and the touchpad fails, I just move the slider (that disconnects the display from the keyboard) over - without removing the display- wait about 5-10 sec or so and the cursor and touchpad work again.

But when the display undocked and the touch screen locks up, it seems the only way to recover is reboot or dock/undock..

HP. if your reading-  please fix this asap!

Funny.. the last post showed "Posted from Microsoft Windows RT Tablet"  I dont own a Windows RT tablet..

I used the X2 laptop for that....

HP Recommended

Well you gave me a great idea.  So the same thing happened to me, the install failed due to the driver signature.  I uninstalled the current driver, then turned off the feature that requires signed drivers and installed the driver.  Everything is working so far.... the only odd thing is it doesn't show the driver any where.  I am going to try a few other things BUT the mouse hasn't stopped working for a good half hour.  

http://www.howtogeek.com/167723/how-to-disable-driver-signature-verification-on-64-bit-windows-8.1-s...   Incase you didn't know.

HP Recommended

ok so it was driving me crazy that the driver wasn't installing.  I went through the INF file and found there were exclusions for many name brands.  I removed the HP exclusions and it still didn't work.  Then I remembered when you wrote your comment it said it was written on surface.  Instead of just removing the microsoft exlusions I removed all of them.  This time the install actually installed the new drivers.  I still couldn't get it to install the new software version though.  The software gives you an error saying the driver versions do not match.  However, it does display the correct driver version now.  All gestures are working and more imporantly the mouse is working.  Fingers crossed here.  I will be using this all day tomorrow to see if the mouse stops working at all.  I will let you know how it goes.

HP Recommended

Glad you got it to work, hope this solves the touchpad/touch screen issues.

To get the new drivers to load and show the driver version, you had to:

1- Disable the driver signature verification feature - (thank you for the link)

2- modify the INF file and re-install the new version..

a-Was it the SynPD.inf file you modified? In the ..\WinWDF\x64 directory

b- Were the exclusions in the [Service_AddReg] section? if so, Did you remove the entire [Service_AddReg] section  from the above INF file or something else?

Sorry for all the questions,  I'd like to give it a try. Please advise.

Thank you.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.