Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

This  is what worked for me! Sorry I didn't post it before!

"Go to Generic USB Hub (both of them) in Device Manager.

Go to the Power Management tab

Uncheck the box about allowing the computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart."

I had tried everything listed on this topic. I'm on my second day of freeze free use! HP wanted me to send my laptop in for repair! Fixed so far as I can tell!

HP Recommended

@dadilus wrote:

This  is what worked for me! Sorry I didn't post it before!

"Go to Generic USB Hub (both of them) in Device Manager.

Uncheck the box about allowing the computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart."

I had tried everything listed on this topic. I'm on my second day of freeze free use! HP wanted me to send my laptop in for repair! Fixed so far as I can tell!

UPDATE! One week now and no further problems!

HP Recommended
Same issue. Nothing seems to fix this permanently. Next steps?
HP Recommended

Can you be a little more specific on what you tried and what did not work?  The generic usb hub power management settings tweak seems to be working for a mojority of users who has touchpad freezing and who try it (based on forum postings).  So you might have a more serios harware/software problem/conflict.  Did you also ensure you had the latest touchpad driver installed, as well?

HP Recommended
Synaptic driver is 17.0.10.9 - that's the latest on HP site.
usb hub power management change didn't fix the problem.
HP Recommended

@rch18 wrote:
Synaptic driver is 17.0.10.9 - that's the latest on HP site.
usb hub power management change didn't fix the problem.

Based on your cryptic replies can't tell if you are experiencing the same symptoms as others regarding the touchpad or a more serious touchpad functionality problem.  Assuming you are experiencing the same symptoms (i.e., running Win 8.1 and touchpad loses functionality or freezes several times a day and can be restored by unseating and reseating the display or by cycling through sleep mode, logging out/in or restarting, external mouse and touchscreen functionality not affected).  Potential causes:  Touchpad Driver conflict with 8.1 and generic usb hub (which powers the touchpad) power management settings and/or loose connection between the tablet and keyboard.  If your symptoms are not as described above you may have a separate isolated issue that cannot be addressed by the simple fixes described  and need to contact HP or return.  If your symptoms are like what is described and if ensuring the touchscreen is seated properly, updated driver, and power management settings all fail to work then your next steps are:

Maximize use of the touchscreen and/or external mouse

Roll back to Win 8.0 (ugh)

Call HP for warranty service for potential hardware issue

Return the laptop to place of purchase if still within return window.

That's all I got...

Best of luck

HP Recommended

alright...alright

I joined THIS thread because I'm experiencing almost exactly the same symptoms as everyone else on the thread and I don't want to

• fall back to Win 8
  • send my x2 back to HP (shudder)

I was hoping to add some weight to the issue so they (HP? Synaptic?) would fess up and solve the problem.

For now, guess I'll stick with what I've got.

HP Recommended

Re: Split x2 - Touchpad issue after upgrading to Windows 8.1

@ricthemenotyou wrote:

this worked for me.

Go to Generic USB Hub (both of them) in Device Manager.

Restart.

My touch pad had stopped while searching for a solution on this forum. I "unchecked " the boxes and the touchpad came bacxk to life before the restart. It has been working ever since. (three days)

it has been a few weeks now and my touch pad has been working "almost" perfect" it has disappeared for two or three seconds twice. but it always comes right back.

HP Recommended

has your on screen cursor disappeared anymore?

If not, what steps did you take to upgrade to 8.1?

Don't forget to give me kudos if I helped!
HP Recommended

Kudos to ricthemenotyou

His solution worked for me as well. Three days going strong and haven't had any issues with my touchpad freezing anymore. Thank you for posting this solution.

Jhon C

For those of you wondering what his solution was: (Hope it works for you too)

Go to Generic USB Hub (both of them) in Device Manager.

Restart. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.