Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

It isn't the ideal solution for ordinary users, but for the solvers and adventurers it's a very very valid post because HP takes too long to give us proper driver support. It works with me too, i've a Dv6 - 6c40br. Hope it helps more ppl

HP Recommended

Thanks for posting this..

The driver is working for me on an EliteBook 8570p, though i did have to foce it a bit...

I upgraded from a  Windows 7 install (not factory image) to Windows 10 and decided to try out the new build-in OS sensor support. On Win7 I didn't use it because it needed the HP tools installed and that was more bloat then i am comfortable with.. of course the problem is getting the drivers.. Windows seems to have installed a driver which  is over 2 years old and doesn't even seem compatible with the OS fingerprint API. I'm not entirely sure whether Win10 is using the same one as Win7, but in any case, driver update didn't find a newer one which was compatible with the OS fingerprint features.

I downloaded and installed the version Lucadebe posted ( Removed link for error in link ). (Note that the installer does seem to dissapear all of a sudden, this is normal i think, it just adds the driver to windows, it won't actually update the device.)

I restarted, but unlike for the other people that wasn't enough in my case. The reason for this was that the posted driver does not actually list the VFS491 as a compatible sensor.. 

So basically i had 2 options:

1. use the driver (from lenovo) posted by the thread creator which is certified as Win10 compatible, but doesn't officially support my sensor.

2. use an older (but still relatively recent; a few months old) driver (from lenovo) which does support my sensor, but isn't certified as Win10 compatible. There are several versions to chose from here, although NONE from HP.. 

The first driver does list the newer VFS495 sensor (mine is VFS491), so i figured i'd force it and see if it works, rather than use a slightly older driver (also from Lenovo) not listed as Win10 compatible.

I went into device manager and opened the properties for the biometric sensor. On the driver tab i selected 'Update driver' -> 'Browse local dirvers' -> 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer'.

Next, because the new driver doesn't actually list my sensor as compatible, i had to uncheck 'Show compatible hardware'.

If you are using the HP provided driver it will by default have a driver selected from manufacturere 'Validity Sensors, Inc.'. They were acquired by Synaptics, so the new driver will be available under 'Synaptics FP Sensors'. I actually installed a number of newer drivers, but the one posted above should be listed as 'Synaptics FP Sensors (WBF) (PID=003d)'. Select it and click next to install.. 

After installing the newer driver, opening the Sign In options screen suddenly showed an additional header "Windows Hello" with a button to add a fingerprint...

So far, working like a charm.

@

I find that especially dissapointing because these are generic drivers provided by Synaptics.. the OEMs simply have to repackage them.. but even that's too much of an effort it would seem.

Also, considering windows 7 can upgrade itself to windows 10 in place, there are going to be a lot of people who will need win10 compatible drivers..

It saddens my that we have to rely on another manufacturer to provide us with drivers for HP products... Lenovo is still providing drivers for laptops that are older than mine, even drivers for newer operating systems..

Will definitely have to consider this when we have to replace our current laptops..

HP Recommended

I have an HP 4530s as well- I got the driver Ludabede linked to and ran the program.   I went to device manager, clicked on Biometric Devices, and then clciked on Validity FP Sensor.  I then clicked on "update driver"  and the chose the box to browse, then clicked to view installed drivers.  I chose "Validity FP Sensor (wbf)(PID=0017" and rebooted.

After that, 'Hello' displayed the fingerprint logon setup- scanned my fat fingers, and everything seems to be working!

Now,  if I can just get the microphone to work all will be right with the world!!

HP Recommended

I have hp dv6 7200 cto and the even problem and driver standard Validity FP Sensor (wbf)(PID=0017 install by windows, buy my finger print dont working.... someone could help please?

HP Recommended

hey I am geeting same issue with PID=0018, I have my Hp Driver installed i am getting sriver malfunctioning  with windows 10 Pro installation, this worked fine with Windows 8.1 pro says error code 31 . Is taht good to install this Driver To Hp dv7 7259nr.

HP Recommended

I am seeing the same issue with my finger print reader. I followed the steps in the post but the synaptics driver doesn't aapear in the driver list even if I uncheck the compatabity check box. Do you have the name of the driver file so I can search for it?

I may be missing something

HP Recommended

Hi

I figured it out. You need to uninstall all existing biometric drivers and check the remove software check box when doing so. Rebooting each time you remove software until after the reboot no driver is selected. Then install the driver in this post.

HP Recommended
Correct.. If my answer worked don't forget kudos!! Lol
HP Recommended

Yes thank you all. My Validity finger print sensor is now working fine on my HP 8570p Elite Notebook. It would be good if HP updated the drivers for this. Seems to be missing for the Windows 10 driver downlaod page for this Notebook.

HP Recommended
Go get the hp support assistant for windows 8 I was told by hp.. Until they update the drivers..

If the fingerprint works.. Don't forget kudos
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.