Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
ENVY dv6 7300 Quad Edition
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I downloaded the Validity driver from the website, but my fingerprint scanner isn't working. When I was running the Insider previews it did work and I was able to use Windows Hello. But now with the full version, it does not work. Is there an updated driver or one from another device that would work?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@ironbesterer

Your solution might depend on your particular setup.

Reference:

HP ENVY dv6t-7300 CTO Quad Edition Notebook PC

========================================================================

Scenerio 1

You have HP SimplePass installed -- and you did not say whether or not this is the case -- AND you are running (some version of) the original Series 6 HP SimplePass program that was installed (shipped) with your computer.  This Series of the program may, or may not, want to run in your new Windows 10 Operating System.

I have read one member's claims that Series 6 HP SimplePass, that is, HP SimplePass probably version 6.0.100.276 -- does run in Windows 10.  I cannot verify that is the case.

How?

Reinstall the existing Validity Driver:

• Uninstall - do NOT delete the Driver from the Device Manager
  • Reboot (Restart) the computer and log in
  • Check to make sure your Sign-Options are set in PC Settings

If your Series 6 HP SimplePass program is not behaving itself, that is, the program starts and then balks, the Splash screen starts / stops / flashes / freezes, then you might try:

• Hard Reset / Forced Reset
  • "Repair" the SimplePass program (Programs and Features)
  • Tryoverloading the program, that is, installing the program over the top of itself without removing the existing program from the computer.

Scenerio 2

You have been running Series 8 HP SimplePass.

There is a new Windows 10 compatible Series 8 HP SimplePass program available:

sp71729 HP SimplePass V8.01.46A W7-W10 32/64bit

How?

Download and install the new Series 8 HP SimplePass program

• Package will likely download to your Downloads folder >> Double-Click to install

Scenerio 3

Some odd combination of other factors not listed

In any case, you want to reinstall your Validity Sensor Driver.

You can likely use the Driver for Windows 8.1 you already have:

sp58900 Validity Sensor V4.4.234.0 Win8-Win8.1

Windows 10 Native Logon

Even if you do not wish to use HP SimplePass -- or if you have never used it and do not even have it installed -- once you have reinstalled the Validity Sensor Driver, you might check / adjust / manage your PC Settings > Accounts > Sign-in Options

Windows Native logon can get you logged into the computer with your fingerprint -- so far, it cannot log you into Web Sites.

Reference, Help, Tips:

Instructions to Upgrade HP SimplePass

Read the first page: Dragon Document Guidelines

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Click my Answer Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

32 REPLIES 32
HP Recommended

Hello,  I'm having the same issue, the only difference being it never worked for me at all but I never ran the pre-release of Windows 10.  For me the "Hello" section is missing entirely.  I've got an Elitebook 2540p with the Validity fingerprint reader.  Thanks for any help!  This is really the only problem I've had with Windows 10 so far.  Thanks!

HP Recommended

Had same problem after upgrading to Windows 10, though I'm "certain" the fingerprint scanner worked the first time I logged in to Windows 10.  Anyway, here's what I did:

1. Download (but don't run) Validity Sensor driver from HP site. I had a heck of a time locating this. The site recognized I had Windows 10 so showed no drivers available. Had to change the operating system  on that screen - don't quite remember where/how - to Windows 8.1. Then showed me the drivers. The sensor driver is under "Keyboard, mouse and input devices". This will be file SP66110 (for my Envy 15-k163CL).

2. Go to your computer's Device Manager. There is a category of devices "Biometric Devices" which, when expanded, shows the Validity driver with a yellow "caution" sign with an exclamation point.  Right click on it and click on "uninstall".  When the uninstall is complete...

3. Run/execute/double-click on the Validity Sensor driver file (you downloaded) to install the driver.  When the driver had finished installing, I could not see it in the Device Manager so I restarted the computer.  When it came back up...

4. I think it had the Simple Pass window in the upper left - forget some of the details - but I know the fingerprint scanner was flashing so I swiped it. Then I got a window in which you are asked to enter your Windows/Microsoft password. The window looks like you are setting a new password, but you are not. I entered my password in the password and confirm fields, clicked ok or pressed Enter - don't recall. Voila! I was in.

I put the computer to sleep then woke it up a bit later to test it out. There was no Simple Pass window but the scanner was flashing so scanned my fingerprint and got in straight away. Looked at the Device Manager and the Biometric Device driver category is there with the Validity Sensors. Something I read on the web said to also reinstall  HP Simple Pass, so I had downloaded it but never re-installed it - didnt' seem to need to. If you do, they suggested you do not uninstall first - that way you will retain the data you previously set up in Simple Pass.

HP Recommended

@ironbesterer wrote:

I downloaded the Validity driver from the website, but my fingerprint scanner isn't working. When I was running the Insider previews it did work and I was able to use Windows Hello. But now with the full version, it does not work. Is there an updated driver or one from another device that would work?

Here's how I got Windows Hello to work with my HP Probook 430 G1, but no guarantees it will work for others:

1. Go to Device manager
  2. The sensor should show up under the Biometrics
  3. Uninstall the device and check the box for deleting the driver
  4. Click the Scan for hardware changes button and it may pop up again but with a different driver
  5. Repeat step 3 until you can no longer uninstall and delete the driver -- Mine ended up to be "Synaptics FP Sensors (WBF) (PID=003f)"
  6. Restart the laptop
  7. When back in Windows, go to Settings->Accounts->Sign-In Options
  8. For me, Windows Hello then showed up as the fourth item when it was previously not there
HP Recommended

None of these methods have worked. The scanners light isn't on and when I go to Hello to set it up, it says there is a problem (probably because it doesn't detect a scanner). 

Oh well, it's just one small sacrifice for a much better Windows.

HP Recommended

@ironbesterer

Your solution might depend on your particular setup.

Reference:

HP ENVY dv6t-7300 CTO Quad Edition Notebook PC

Scenerio 1

You have HP SimplePass installed -- and you did not say whether or not this is the case -- AND you are running (some version of) the original Series 6 HP SimplePass program that was installed (shipped) with your computer.  This Series of the program may, or may not, want to run in your new Windows 10 Operating System.

I have read one member's claims that Series 6 HP SimplePass, that is, HP SimplePass probably version 6.0.100.276 -- does run in Windows 10.  I cannot verify that is the case.

How?

If your Series 6 HP SimplePass program is not behaving itself, that is, the program starts and then balks, the Splash screen starts / stops / flashes / freezes, then you might try:

• Hard Reset / Forced Reset
  • "Repair" the SimplePass program (Programs and Features)
  • Tryoverloading the program, that is, installing the program over the top of itself without removing the existing program from the computer.

Scenerio 2

You have been running Series 8 HP SimplePass.

There is a new Windows 10 compatible Series 8 HP SimplePass program available:

sp71729 HP SimplePass V8.01.46A W7-W10 32/64bit

How?

Download and install the new Series 8 HP SimplePass program

• Package will likely download to your Downloads folder >> Double-Click to install

Scenerio 3

Some odd combination of other factors not listed

In any case, you want to reinstall your Validity Sensor Driver.

You can likely use the Driver for Windows 8.1 you already have:

sp58900 Validity Sensor V4.4.234.0 Win8-Win8.1

Windows 10 Native Logon

Even if you do not wish to use HP SimplePass -- or if you have never used it and do not even have it installed -- once you have reinstalled the Validity Sensor Driver, you might check / adjust / manage your PC Settings > Accounts > Sign-in Options

Windows Native logon can get you logged into the computer with your fingerprint -- so far, it cannot log you into Web Sites.

Reference, Help, Tips:

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Uninstalling then letting computer reinstall drivers worked for me. had to re-create my fingerprint but worth it. Now my only problem is the fingerprint scanner light keeps blinking all the time even when I'm not logging into anything. Will post if I figure it out.

HP Recommended

@carpedatum

The TouchControl.exe is part of Series 6 HP SimplePass -- this process is a likely culprit in the "flashing" of the fingerprint Reader that you see when the Reader (from your point of view) should be quiescent (quiet).

You can find TouchControl.exe in your Task Manager in the Process list.

From what I can gather from some older posts on the subject, you can probably kill the process.  I would suspect, from what I know about the program in general, that the process is needed:  this is a workaround and not a true solution.

You can certainly try killing the process.

If everything does fall apart:

Shut down the computer and perform the Hard Reset (will not wipe out your computer) to force the computer to reload the programs from disk.

If everything really falls apart, you can always continue with the actual (reported) solution below.

• The perported solution is to update to the latest version of HP SimplePass.

NOTE:  Apparently, "Repair" (in Programs and Features) does not work.

The "Update" path for Series 6 (AuthenTec) HP SimplePass is limited -- the latest version of the Series 6 HP SimplePass is 6.0.100.276 -- although somewhat dated by now, there will not be any updates after this one.

sp63224 HP SimplePass V6.0.100.276 Win7-8

Circumstances permitting:

You might try loading version V6.0.100.276 over top of your existing Series 6 HP SimplePass program.   Most everyone is expected to be running this version by now, though there are some cases where folks are running vintage HP SimplePass versions due to necessity.  Vintage HP SimplePass is not covered here -- and in fact, the subject is rarely discussed as it can be a sad situation when issues are encountered.

IF you decide to try removing your installation of HP SimplePass before installing the "new" package, make real sure you have Exported your Webcards -- removing the program from your computer also removes your Webcards (website passwords) -- you don't want to remove the program without having first made a backup!

See:

See Section(s)

• Pile of Rubble - Hard Reset Sequence / Forced Reset
  • Export Webcards / Password Vault
  • Create Restore Point
  • (Re)Install HP SimplePass Software
    • Install Series 6 HP SimplePass Software

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

The fingerprint scanner worked the first time I logged onto Windows 10 but not after that.  Reading through the forums gave me enough information to bring up the log in options for my machine.  There I noticed that I didn't have a PIN set up.  The fingerprint options were grayed out with a note that I had to set up the PIN first.  I set up a PIN and viola...things started working.  The requirement for a PIN is annoying.  Apparently someone can now enter a password or a pin to get into things.  Double the chances of getting in now....

HP Recommended

@JohnW3

I am glad you found a way to make this work, albeit not a favorite method.

You might take a minute to consider setting up a "Safe-House" account.  This is nothing nore than a secondary, local Admin type account on your computer that you create and keep handy in case it is ever needed.  PINs and Picture logins can be great -- until they are not.

See Section:

• Safe-House Account – Secondary Administrative Account

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dragon-Fur

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.