Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

hp-g72 wont turn on. i took the battery out and just plugged the ac adapter in. it powers on for litterally 2 seconds, you can hear the fan see the windows screen then immediately shuts off...i dont know what to do.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hey there,

Try performing a hard reset on the computer to see if it resolve the issue. The hard reset is a good way to resolve these types of "weird" issues. Here is how to hard reset the notebook: Use Hard Reset to Resolve Hardware and Software Issues

Let me know if this does or does not resolve the issue and then we can continue from there.

Thanks,

Sean

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hey there,

Just wanted to check back in and see if the hard reset resolved the issue. If you still having the issue or have any other questions just let me know.

Take care,

Sean

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I have exactly the same issue with G72-B60us. Few wks back started with heating-up (around GPU area)  and auto shutdown. 

Checked the usual troubleshooting process (hard reset, disconnect CMOS and even disconnecting HD, DVD drive and tried RAM sticks 1 at a time. Also cleaned CPU fan, reapplied Artic silver on CPU and even replaced teh cmos battary.

Consistently this is what happens when I try to power up with power adapter or Battary. The screen comes up, I can see on screen, CPU fan starts, canhear DVD drive and then within 3 seconds it shuts itself down.  Seems like an overload protection kicking-in. Visually no bad capacitor on motherboard nor aything apearing hot to touch or discolored either.

Will save me some cash if there is a way I could fix the problem. Really liked the laptop screen, keyboard and port layout..

Pls help..

HP Recommended

@HPLaptopOwner11,

The issue described is typically a system board issue or overheating.  However, you have already eliminated overheating as a cause with the steps already taken.  There isn't always physical signs of failure when it comes to electrical equipment.

I recommend looking into replacing the system board if that is an option for you.  The system board from HP is listed as HD UMA system board with card reader (for model 1.2 only) 629122-001.  Try searching online for the part number (629122-001) to get an idea of the price range for the motherboard.  Page 75 of this guide lists the steps involved in this process. 

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

Thanks for this tip!  I have an HP G72 that would not turn on at all. I tried a new power cord and a new battery, to no avail. I should have checked the support forum first!  The hard reset worked!!  Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Hello,

I have a G72 laptop that will not power on. 

I recently replaced the screen (it was cracked); and at the time, the laptop still started up normally - I just saw a garbled screen.  After I replaced the screen, the computer wouldn't power on - nothing.  Even the small light that indicates when the AC adapter is plugged in didn't turn on.  I then replaced the AC port, but still nothing no indictor lights, fans, noises.

Is there any fuse that may need to be replaced? Is there something else I could look into checking/replacing? Other diagnostic tests?

Any help is greatly appreciated - Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi, I've tried the hard reset with no luck. Working one day and the went to turn it on but no power. No power light either. I had experienced the machine shutting down caused by overheating. Ive taken the machine apart to check connection and cleaned the fan. I'm considering trying to replace the ac adapter. 

Have any of you guys solved the issue.

HP Recommended
I've tried hard reset & cleaned out vent with no luck on power up. It was not overheating. It just went dead while in use. I'm guessing it is the main board since I've tried the other "cures", but is it worthwhile to even fix at this point? New laptops are pretty inexpensive & by the time I acquire the parts, it might just be cheaper to replace it as a whole. How hard would it be to retrieve data for transfer to a new machine?
HP Recommended
I have had the same problem, but I tried the hard reset and it won't come on. The power light is blinking every few seconds and refuses to power up. This all also happened right after I did the Windows 10 upgrade, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.