Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

my 6, 7, y, u, h, j, n, m key's are not working. they used to work but even then i had to hold down one of those unresponsive keys to get the others to work now i can't use them at all!! i have to use the on screen keyboard which is really annoying but is the only way i can use my laptop

i have a hp pavilion g6 4GB  i3 core 64 bit windows . i think the warrenty has expired as it is a refurbished laptop

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello momomohammed:

First thing fist go to accessories folder in all programs list then ease of access and open up on screen key board. Now you can use your lap top.  Just use your touch pad as mouse. Do not close it leave it on. This way it will start up when the the computer turns on. You can also purchased a really cheep USB Keyboard for around $20.00 and lay on the keyboard for the time being and use that as back up. Ok.

Now for the keyboard help. I need your computers complete information to trouble shoot it. HP G6 ?????. Follow my examples please mine are HP DV7-6235dx Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and HP Touchsmart 600-1050 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.  This information is needed to make sure we get the right drivers and sohtware down loads for your computer some times reinstalling the software fixes the currupted files. By doing this we can tell if the keyboard needs replacing or not. Thank you I will check back and see if you posted the needed information. frrw

HP Recommended

well, my laptop is a hp pavilion g6-129sa windows 7 home premium and I'm not sure what my laptops " HP Touchsmart 600-1050 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit" is but the keyboard device is a Standard PS/2 Keyboard

HP Recommended
Hello momomhammed:
I think you forgot to type in HP g6 1239as because I could not find HP g6 123sa. This is the only steps they give for your lat top. http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01458194 I would do the reset direction first then do the update drives for it. To see if that fixes the issue. If it doesn't then yout computer needs repairing. frrw.
HP Recommended

Hi there,

I had the same problem occur - keys 6,7,y,u,h,j,n,m were no longer typing letters/numbers instead they were associated with a particular command e.g. when i hit 6 in MS Word the print screen came up. Because all the keys are in a cluster on the keyboard I was convinced that some function type key (shift, control, windows) was stuck and thus causing those keys to perform commands rather than type letters/numbers.

I spent HOURS last night on these forums trying everything that was suggested. In the end, I ended up opening a document in MS Word and using tweezers to carefully lift one function key at a time then hitting one of the malfunctioning keys -- I started with Fn, Ctrl, windows, Alt, Shift then F1, F2, F3 BINGO F4 was the culprit. I removed the key, used Dust Off and replaced it and all is working just fine now. 

I saw so many posts about the Windows key but nothing about the F keys and in this case, they were the problem. 

Good luck!

HP Recommended
Having the same problem with my daughters Chromebook 14. Tried the function key trick. Lifted up on the tab key and the non functioning keys started working. This only lasted for a minute. I have tried the same method again to no avail.
HP Recommended

I also having this problem with my Chromebook 14. I'm using a small bluetooth keybord now but it is hard to use at times and I only got it for my tablet. I really dont want to send my computer in b/c I just got it back from them getting the screen fixed. I have had more trouble with this laptop then I have ever had with any computer and I just got it a week before Thanksgiving.............. PN is j9m84ua#aba......  and SN  is [Personal Information Removed]......... incase it could be a driver issue. if anyone could help that  would be great. doing schoolwork on a tiny keybord is really hard.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.