cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
gsingh121
Level 1
4 3 0 2
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

Solved!

split x2

HP Recommended

Hello Everyone,

I bought HP Split x2 (mOO8tu) in November 2013. And now I am having trouble regarding its fan.
Fan of this Notebook is making a lot of noise as if it is being collided by some internal parts as well as when I change the position of the tablet continously, the fan noise increases to a very high extent.

And this usually occurs when the tablet is hot, that is after running a high processing application.

HP, DO SOMETHING TO SOLVE MY PROBLEM

Thanks in advance,

Gaurav Singh

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SuperMario1
Retired
Retired
5,085 6,003 326 1,049
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello gsingh121,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand your Split is experiencing an overheating and noisy fan issue.  I believe the first logical step is to address overheating, specifically. This is because the fan is more inclined to spin and make more noise when the computer is toasty. I will provide a generic troubleshooting document on how to reduce overheating: Reducing Heat Inside the PC to Prevent Overheating

Please try all of these suggestions. If the computer continues to overheat and/or the fan spins constantly, there may be a hardware issue. If you get to this point, then please try all of the steps in this document to address the fan, specifically: Fan is Noisy and Spins Constantly, PC is Warmer than Normal

Please note that some of the steps in this document overlap from the previous one. However, there are some additional steps to try. At this point, there might be a hardware failure if the issue is not resolved. Please let me know how it goes.

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
8 REPLIES 8
SuperMario1
Retired
Retired
5,085 6,003 326 1,049
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello gsingh121,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand your Split is experiencing an overheating and noisy fan issue.  I believe the first logical step is to address overheating, specifically. This is because the fan is more inclined to spin and make more noise when the computer is toasty. I will provide a generic troubleshooting document on how to reduce overheating: Reducing Heat Inside the PC to Prevent Overheating

Please try all of these suggestions. If the computer continues to overheat and/or the fan spins constantly, there may be a hardware issue. If you get to this point, then please try all of the steps in this document to address the fan, specifically: Fan is Noisy and Spins Constantly, PC is Warmer than Normal

Please note that some of the steps in this document overlap from the previous one. However, there are some additional steps to try. At this point, there might be a hardware failure if the issue is not resolved. Please let me know how it goes.

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
sam8988378
4 4 0 1
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What kind of tech help is this?  The customer presents a specific problem, and you respond with two differently-labeled links to the same support page so general that the customer is sent back to start and having to enter ALL information again!  It doesn't even lead to a page specific to the customers' computer!  And it's pretty snarky to have the links named for the specific problem, only to have the them lead to the same general support start page!  Wouldn't you think that people already tried to get an answer from the support page?  It would have been the logical place to go to first, as it's much less trouble than bothering to register at a forum and either have to deal with email verification or having to click on permissions for Gmail/Facebook/Twitter accounts, then choose a screen name.  It's like asking your doctor for advice on losing weight, and having the doctor refer you to the Grey's Anatomy text.  

sam8988378
4 4 0 1
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I hadn't noticed it before, but Mario the tech support person answered the question twice, with the same non-informative links.  And somehow the question was marked as SOLVED!   How does pointing someone to a general support page which addresses no specifics count as SOLVED?  Wow, Apple support isn't looking so bad right now.

gsingh121
Author
Level 1
4 3 0 2
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I simply sold my laptop off to a computer shop a year ago. He gave me $400 for that.
I started experiencing hinge issues....it used to get ejected automatically and because of that I lost all my precious data on hdd part of laptop.
This thing screwed my mind....so I sold it off the very next day...I bought a simple non-touch screen Acer laptop which is working too good since an year.
sam8988378
4 4 0 1
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

happy that you found a solution, though giving up and buying a totally different product isn't something which should count as a "solved" on the boards.  But since this information/post is new, apparently any response from a HP tech support person (including acknowledging it exists), qualifies a solving?  I also have a hot-running tablet, and a search turned up your question.  Seeing the quality of the answer you received doesn't make me optimistic.  After 5 years with a Macbook, I was expecting a trouble-free return to Windows and HP products.  My prior HP desktop worked wonderfully.  The only eventual problem was that it was too old and underpowered to keep current.  I'll give it a try and post anyway.  If there are no answers then I may wind up following your lead.  If there are no answers as to why the tablet gets hot while not in use, then there's no reason to expect that it might not get worse, even start a fire.      

gsingh121
Author
Level 1
4 3 0 2
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Better to Clean install windows 10. Does ur tablet have Intel z3735 processor?? I used to own hp stream 7 tablet(z3735) but since it had only 1 gigs of RAM it didn't handle web browsing efficiently, I sold it off and bought Asus e200ha for web browsing and small stuffs.
I ll recommend you to install anti-virus along with a separate anti-malware as viruses n malware can increase cpu as well as hard disk utilisation which ll eventually make ur tablet hot...
sam8988378
4 4 0 1
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@gsingh121 wrote:
Better to Clean install windows 10. Does ur tablet have Intel z3735 processor?? I used to own hp stream 7 tablet(z3735) but since it had only 1 gigs of RAM it didn't handle web browsing efficiently, I sold it off and bought Asus e200ha for web browsing and small stuffs.
I ll recommend you to install anti-virus along with a separate anti-malware as viruses n malware can increase cpu as well as hard disk utilisation which ll eventually make ur tablet hot...

The HP split came with Windows 8.1.  I gave in to the incessant nagging & threat that MS was going to start charging for upgrades to Win 10, and let MS upgrade.  So I now have Windows 10 home.   Processor: Intel Core i3-4012Y  CPU@ 1.50GHz, 4.0 Gb Ram.   It's also running McAfee Security Suite.  All drivers have been updated.  McAfee updated all the Windows Kb's which don't require user separate acceptance, and notifies when programs have updates available.  So far there haven't been any nasties found.  It's peculiar that I've been using it for almost 7 hours and it's cool to the touch, yet 10 hours with the tablet closed turns the detachable tablet into a plate-warmer.   

warrantyvoided
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Although it is a few years late but still I think it's relevant of what i am about to tell you, your warranty will be void.

I have the same problem with my Split x2 about 3 months after I bought it, screeching cranking loud noise.

It is the internal fan that is causing the problem, there is nothing much you can do, even if you change a new fan it will still screech after few months of use, the small and ultra slim fan does not have the require grease inside, it dries up and soon and than the unbearable loud noise as if there is a race car non stop cornering dangerous in your house.

Very easy solve if you intent to fix it yourself free of charge and no additional parts needed, but warranty will be void.

i brought my split x2 to the shop and change new fan and still after few months it came back the noise.

I took my own method and it work, my split x2 work so quietly you couldn't even know its operating 24x7 for 3 years now.

Tools and materials requirement: 1 flat tip and 1 cross tip spectacles screwdriver, 1 small wooded toothpick, tiny amount of synthetic gease (i used Super Lube Teflon grease and that big tube is still with me)

Step 1) Split out the pad, with the spectacles screwdriver take out the back panel of the split screen by first unscrewing 2 screws at the bottom (the screws are hidden by 2 small rubberized studds)

Step 2) uncrew the fan next to the copper heatsink, (take note of the connecting flat cable located on the right side, DO NOT Pull it out) there is a tiny catch that snap the flat cable of the fan to the motherboard, there is no connector, just a flat cable from the fan. Take a closeup snapshot of the connection first if you not sure, slowly and carefully slide the fan out from heatsink position and flip it upside down towards the Right side of the flat cable, this will unlock the snap fasterner, if it doesn't unlock its ok, just leave it there but carefully, could be difficult to attach back the flat cable if snap unlock.

Step 3) there is a tiny screw on the face of the fan, locate it and unscrew it, there is 2 catch on the side of the cover of fan, carefully and softly pry open the catch with your flat tip spectacle screwdriver and lift the cover up a little by one side and slide it clockwise to open (one side is fix to the motor).

Step 4) now you see the open fan, lift out the plastic fan blade upward motion, clean the plastic blade, now you will see a raw electric motor only with a tiny hole in the center, and the plastic fan blade you took out the bottom has a small stick out at the center, that fit the tiny hole

Step 5) use toothpick, scoop a tiny amount of synthetic grease with the tip, apply tiny amount inside the center hole of electric motor (do not be greedy, very tiny amount will be fine, more and your fan will be stuck motionless because of the stickiness of the grease) with same toothpick and grease, apply on the side of the electric motor, very very thin layer will do

Step 6) put everything back to the fan, test the fan by starting the laptop, the fan might stay for a while without movement, use your finger press lightly on the center of the fan and rotate fast clockwise for a minute so the interior motor will even out the grease and let go the fan will start, leave it running for 5 minutes, off the laptop and put back the fan into the position and screw back everything.

The quiet fan now with enough synthetic grease should last you a lifetime.

I hope the HP team will not ban me

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation