Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Get a blank screen when start up my tx2 SmartTouch laptop...hear the fan...lights constantly blink by the cap lock keys.can't seem to match any blinking codes....Screen is totally blank... just won't boot up ...tried hard boot reset....no difference..  anyone have any ideas?  Power is good, battery is good..

45 REPLIES 45
HP Recommended

Removing the battery and ac power and holding down the power butting for 10-20 seconds.

HP Recommended

Hi...tried that...even did a hard boot...still the same problem...the blink code is constant...the real pattern..

HP Recommended

Follow the instructions of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctHTF3oNdxI

I got the same problem and fixed it. Instead of the 150 W bulb light I used a hair dryer

Now the computer is working fine

HP Recommended

@IrvingQuesterthank you so much this worked like a charm!! I used the dryer too & it worked perfectly.

@IrvingQuester wrote:

Follow the instructions of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctHTF3oNdxI

I got the same problem and fixed it. Instead of the 150 W bulb light I used a hair dryer

Now the computer is working fine

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem with my HP tx2z. I can boot it up using a hair blow dryer, but I have to do this each time, otherwise it won't boot. Each booting takes about 5 minutes and produces a lot of noise and it's really frustrating. I bought this laptop in March 2009 when I was in the US. Since back then I had desktop computers at home and in the office, I hadn't used the laptop very often until I moved to London and started working at home in September 2011. I spent about $850 in this laptop and did not expect it to fail in such a short time.

This blank screen problem seems to be a quite common for HP tx2z, and is obviously due to defected hardware. It's not right to sell consumers laptops for $850 which in average only last about 1.5 years. I think we should unite together to sue HP.

HP Recommended

So from some more digging it appears that this is an issue with poor engineering on the part of HP and Nvidea. the GPU gets over heated and floats therefore breaking connection. this appears to be fixable by resetting the GPU. See How to fix HP tx1000 with black screen on Youtube for several fixes demonstrating the same issue.

Nvidea settled a lawsuit about this in 2010...nice that HP and Nvidea owned up to this. For those of us who missed the issue  (and those whom HP screwed by not admitting to the problem) I would take the board to a good tech and have them reseat the chip.

BTW this was the same basic issue the XBOX360 had. go figure...

HP Recommended

Add another guy to the list.  TouchSmart tx2 - lights come on, but nobody is home.  The screen is blank.  The usual fixes ( remove this, push that, restart  while pushing that, then this) don't work.  I understand the graphics chip doesn't have enough heat sink.  Over time, it unsolders (usually after the warranty period is over).

I also gather HP refuses to acknowledge this defect.  Some kid has a Utube presentation showing how to re-solder the chip and then use thermal conductive glue to put a penny on top of the chip for a heat sink.  Obviously, this is a design flaw.

HP, either own up to the problem; fix my laptop, or I'll make it a point to never, ever buy another HP product again.  Anyone can make a mistake, but I expect them to own up to it.

Regards,

Jake Carter

{Personal Information Removed}

HP Recommended
@savage1,

I have raised your post to the appropriate team for review. Someone should contact you via private message. It may take up to two days to receive communication. You can check your private messages by signing in and selecting the envelope icon at the top of this page.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

Hi, 

I just finished reading this entire thread about the GPU heatsink issue with my HP Touchsmart TX2 and would love some help from HP. I've got the exact same problem with my laptop (i.e. fan comes on, lights come on, screen stays blank) and I've also tried the usual fixes (i.e. taking out the battery, hitting certain key combinations, etc.) to no avail. So, could you please respond to this inquiry and let me know what I can do to get this manufacturer's defect resolved. Thanks for your time and attention to this matter.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.