Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 11

4500 printer with genuine HP301XL Black has been printing fine now this morning I am told "cartridge is incompatible". Tried switch on & off - no joy, tried resetting printer - no joy. Can anyone suggest how to clear this as with the price of the cartridges I am reluctant to buy a replacement in case the same thing happens.

The cartridge was purchased from a major department store, I still have the receipt.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @bzmotman,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

I understand that you are getting a cartridge error, I am glad to assist you.

Reset the printer

• Reset the printer to recover from printer errors or failures.
  • If your printer has a rechargeable battery, remove it.
  • With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the printer.
  • Unplug the power cord from the power source.
  • Wait 60 seconds.
  • Reconnect the power cord to a wall outlet and to the printer.
  • HP recommends plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.
  • Turn on the printer to complete the reset.

Clean the ink cartridge and printhead electrical contacts

• Remove any debris or buildup from the contacts on the cartridges and in the carriage.
  • Open the door or lid to the cartridge access area. Wait until the carriage stops moving before continuing.
  • Remove the cartridge indicated in the error message from the carriage.
  • Wipe the copper-colored contact on the cartridge with a lint-free cloth.
  • Place the cartridge to the side with the contact facing upwards.
  • Wipe the contact inside the printhead with a lint-free cloth.
  • Reinsert the cartridge into its color-coded slot, and then press down on it until it snaps into place.
  • Repeat these steps for any other cartridges indicated in the error message.
  • Close the door or lid to the cartridge access area.
  • Here is the HP document for further assistance:- Click here

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks for trying to help me.

I tried your suggestion several times but each time when I powered up the printer it immediately went to the incompatible screen.

I then tried updating the firmware but every attempt failed with the suggestion of switch off/on and try again.

I then thought as it was saying HP cartridges were incompatible then perhaps a non-HP cartridge might work. So I borrowed a couple but no joy.

I then decided to try inserting empty HP cartridges to see if they were recognised. At last some success - replacing 1 was no good but replacing both then powering off/on moved the printer on from the incompatible screen. I was then able to exchange the empty black cartridge for the black that had been in there and it worked. However exchanging the colour cartridge caused the incompatible screen to reappear but reinserting the empty cartridge once again solved the problem.

Until the weekend I intend to run with just the black working. I then intend to thoroughly clean the colour with a lint free cloth, try the firmware install again & then see if I can get the colour working.

HP Recommended

Hi @bzmotman,

Thank you for your response, 

Please feel free to reply to us and we will be more than happy to help you.

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, please go to the public post and click on "Accepted Solution" and give us a virtual high-five by clicking on the "Thumbs Up" icon.

Take care and have a great day ahead!

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have finally managed to update the firmware. Whilst it seems to have cleared the incompatible error is has now introduced new errors. Yesterday the black cartridge was showing as out of ink but now today it is showing as half full and black is printing normally. Yesterday the colour cartridge was showing as incompatible but today its compatible & supposedly out of ink despite being an almost new cartridge.

With the price of HP cartridges I am not prepared to buy a new cartridge to then possibly find it wont work because of the same or new errors so I'm afraid its goodbye to HP. Off to buy another printer from a brand who dont charge as much for ink.

Thanks for your help but unfortunately your ink pricing policy has lost HP another customer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.