Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8740 All-in-One Printer
macOS 12.0 Monterey

Hello,

Trying not to throw my printer out the window! I had a few problems with this printer that required semi-restarts (under the advisement of the fine folks here at HP). The Printer started working again, EXCEPT that now it only prints in black/grey.

When I print, all colors are saturated with black ink, as seen here:  IMG_1739.jpeg

I have already:

Cleaned the printhead.

Installed brand new cartridges (costing me $75 even though I pay for Instant Ink)

So I'm looking for some help, please.

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @B83C0E74,

Welcome to HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

I understand your frustration with your HP OfficeJet Pro 8740 not printing in full color despite cleaning the printhead and installing new cartridges. Here are some additional troubleshooting steps you can try to resolve the issue.

Check Print Settings:

• Make sure that your print settings are configured to use color ink. Sometimes, the default settings might be set to grayscale or black and white.

Software Drivers and Updates:

• Ensure that you have the latest printer drivers and firmware installed. Visit the HP website and download the latest drivers for your printer model.

Alignment and Calibration:

• Run a printhead alignment and color calibration. This will help ensure that the printhead is properly aligned and calibrated for accurate color printing. You can usually find these options in your printer's settings menu.

Check for Ink Levels:

• Verify that your new color cartridges are properly installed and have sufficient ink. Your printer should have an option to check ink levels in the settings or on the control panel.

Clean the Printhead Again:

• Sometimes, multiple printhead cleaning cycles may be necessary to clear any clogs or dried ink. Run another printhead cleaning cycle and then print a test page to check if the color issue has been resolved.

Nozzle Check:

• Perform a nozzle check to identify any specific nozzle or color that might be causing the problem. If you notice any gaps or missing colors on the nozzle check pattern, it indicates an issue with the printhead.

Paper Type and Quality:

• Ensure you are using the correct type of paper for your print job. Low-quality or incorrect paper can affect print quality.

Reset the Printer:

• Try performing a reset on your printer. This can sometimes resolve software-related issues. Refer to your printer's manual for instructions on how to reset it.

Check for Color Management Settings:

• In your printing software, make sure that there are no color management settings that are causing the printer to override your desired color settings.

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4
HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Hey Alden,

I did all of these steps, some of them multiple times.

There are no more firmware updates for this printer.

I have brand new cartridges.

I cleaned the printhead twice.

From the image I printed, it looks like a software issue because there IS color there, but when it should be 100% color, the printer seems to print 100% black instead.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.