Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Smart tank 7301

Smart tank printer  too dark even tho I keep lightening the shade on the computer

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Hutch72,

Welcome to HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you. 

If your HP Smart Tank 7301 printer is printing too dark, there are several possible causes and solutions.

• Check the printer settings: Make sure that the print settings on your computer or mobile device are not set to print in the "draft" or "economy" mode, which can result in darker prints. Also, ensure that the brightness and contrast settings are properly adjusted.
  • Check the ink levels: If the ink levels are low, the printer may not be able to print properly, which could result in darker prints. Check the ink levels and replace any cartridges that are running low.
  • Clean the printhead: Over time, the printhead of the printer can become clogged with ink, resulting in poor print quality. Use the printer's cleaning utility to clean the printhead and ensure that it is working properly.
  • Adjust the color settings: If the printer is printing too dark, you may need to adjust the color settings. You can do this using the printer's software or by adjusting the color settings on your computer or mobile device.
  • Use high-quality paper: Using low-quality paper can result in darker prints. Make sure that you are using high-quality paper that is appropriate for your printer.

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4
HP Support

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.