Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 4650 Injet Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Every once in a while, my printer loses the option to print in colour and to duplex print automatically - these items are NOT available under Printer Preferences.  Until now I have been uninstalling and re-downloading the driver multiple times (rebooting in between, rebooting the router, etc) until, eventually they shows up, only to disappear again several weeks later.

I found a post from a few years ago with the following solution.  It looks like it would fix exactly the problem I have  been experiencing.  I followed the steps until "Click the "Off" under "Automatic Configuration".  When I change it to "update now" it immediately goes back to "OFF", though it DOES change the "Automatic Duplexing Unit to "installed".  However, when I go into "Printer Preferences" I still do not have the option for colour, and the duplex printing is only manual.

Is there anything else you can suggest?

WIN10
if you cannot see the "color" tab - do the following:
Open Control Panel
Click on "Printers & Scanners" (or Devices & Printers depending on your view)
Click the printer that isn't printing color and select "manage"
Click "Printer Properties"
Click "Device Settings"
Click the "Off" under "Automatic Configuration" and select "Update Now" (this will cause the option for automatic duplexing unit to be "installed" upon closing the window prompt)
Click "OK" to close the window prompt
Go back into the program you're trying to print from (or from "Printers & Scanners" menu)
Click "Printer Preferences" (or Right click on the printer in "Printers & Scanners")
Click "Paper/Quality" tab
Select "Color" option your require
Now print!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try following below version of the HP Print and Scan Doctor Utility by selecting your printer, I believe it should resolve both the color and duplex problem:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/hppsdr/patches/HPPSdr.exe

Be sure to restart your PC and allow the utility to complete the process, then check for any difference.

Please let me know the results,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

YES.  That actually worked.  It also resolved another problem that I had been having with wireless printing.

I know I have tried the Scan Doctor before, but possibly it was an earlier version.  Anyway, this one worked perfectly.

I still do not know WHY I lose these features periodically, but at least I have  solution that works.

Thanks again

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.