Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8710
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Def false paper jam. Have taken all steps as if it was a paper jam.  Other laptop connected to same

printer can print.  Under Stystem Preferences cannot return to Idle -  it reads 'paper jam', Default

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@V1xx

Thank you for being a part of HP Forums. 

It'll be an honor to guide you through the steps needed to fix your concern or address your query 😉 

As I understand the device has a false paper jam error,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Have you ensured there's a no jam within the input tray, ink cartridge access area, rear of the printer and the automatic document feeder?
  • Did you check if the carriage can move freely?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

View this video on YouTube

Step 1: Clear jammed paper from the printer

Paper jams can occur in multiple areas of the printer. If you cannot find the paper jam in one area, continue to the next area until the jam is located.

NOTE:

You might need a flashlight to complete some of these steps.

• Clear jammed paper from the input tray
  • Clear jammed paper from the ink cartridge access area
  • Clear jammed paper from the rear of the printer
  • Clear jammed paper from the automatic document feeder

If you have checked and removed any jammed paper from each printer area and the error persists, continue to the next step.

Step 2: Make sure the carriage can move freely

Make sure the carriage moves freely across the width of the printer.

1. Turn on the printer.

2. Place your fingers into the slot on the left side of the printer, and then pull to open the ink cartridge access door.

The carriage moves into the ink cartridge access area.

1. Location of the ink cartridge access door slot

3. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent before you continue.

4. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

WARNING:

You must unplug the power cord to move the carriage by hand and reset the paper feed mechanism without the risk of electrical shock.

5. Use a flashlight to check for any paper or objects that might be restricting the carriage, and then remove any paper or objects that you find.

CAUTION:

If the paper tears when you remove it from the rollers, check the rollers and wheels for torn pieces of paper that might remain inside the printer. If pieces of paper remain in the printer, more paper jams can occur.

6. Reach inside the printer through the ink cartridge access door, and then manually move the carriage.

• If the carriage is stuck on the right side of the printer, move the carriage to the left side of the printer.

• If the carriage is stuck on the left side of the printer, move the carriage to the right side of the printer.

• If the carriage is stuck in the middle of the printer, move the carriage to the right side of the printer.

7. Remove any loose paper or obstructions found.

8. Make sure that the carriage can move freely across the width of the printer. Firmly push the carriage to the left side of the printer, and then push it to the right side.

9. Close the ink cartridge access door.

10. Reconnect the power cord, and then turn on the printer.

Try to print. If the error persists, continue to the next step.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Do get back to us as we have a few more tricks up our sleeves, 

Besides, we will follow up to ensure your concern is resolved,

That said, If we have helped you resolve the issue, 

feel free to give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you 

Riddle_Decipher(HP Support Agent)

for your assistance but still not working

I added another printer  under Printer  Scanners and despite it saying "idle, Default' I still

get paper jam when there isn't one.

My orginal downloaded printer continues to say 'paper jam ' under Printer & Scanner.

Other laptops in my office are able to print.

Very frustrating!

HP Recommended

Thank you 

I added another printer  under Printer  Scanners and despite it saying "idle, Default' I still

My orginal downloaded printer continues to say 'paper jam ' under Printer & Scanner.

Very frustrating!

HP Recommended

Thank you 

Very frustrating!

Should add that I have checked all trays for paper jam, ink cartridge access area and rear of printer

I have washed all the rollers - everything seems to be moving freely.

Have watched a series of videos re paper jam and setting up

HP Recommended

@V1xx,

It looks like you were interacting with @Riddle_Decipher, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 
I'm the Jeet_Singh & I'm at your service. 

As I understand you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue, I would suggest you could try to update the printer firmware(If you have already performed it, please skip this step).

For more assistance, please use this link: HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

If your printer connected wirelessly, make sure to temporary connect the device with USB and then follow the link to check for the latest firmware update if available for your printer, using this website.  You might need a Windows PC to run the firmware.

If the issue persists, Let's try to perform a hard reset on the printer and make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

If you have followed these steps and still having the issue, If the carriage moves freely, then let's perform an advanced reset on the printer.

I am sending you a private message with the steps to reset the printer. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile,

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

Please reply back on the public post as this Private message box is not monitored.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely,

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

As I said earlier, there is no paper jam. I have checked everything several times. I can print to this printer just fine from my PC, but I am not able to do anything from the printer control panel. If I click on "OK", the message just keeps coming back.

HP Recommended

Am I just typing messages to myself, or is someone reading what I'm sending?

HP Recommended

I'm having the Same issues printer jam error message I've taken all the steps and reset printer still error message there is NO jam in the automatic feeder. Is there another way to reset printer ? I've unplugged it from everything and unplugged it in.....

HP Recommended

We JUST had this happen on Friday.  We have tried EVERYTHING!! Today, we bought a new HP, WE HATE IT!  We would LOVE to have someone help us to fix this issue.

There has got to be some sort of fix/answer/solution for this.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.