Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 3520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

How do I talk to an actual tech support person at HP?

According to Microsoft's tech support, the HP Support Solutions Framework software is causing me problems and needs to be updated. They won't do anything about it, because they consider it to be HP's problem.

But I can't find any way of contacting HP tech support to tell them that.

When I use the HP Update link that can with my printer, it tells me that all of my drivers and other software are already up to date.

When I try to run the Hp Support Solutions Framework Setup Wizard on the HP website, it just "ends prematurely" due to an unspecified problem.

I asked Microsoft about just uninstalling this software that was giving me problems, and their tech guy warned me not to do that. He said this was all very sensitive and maybe my computer would stop working entirely (or that's how I interpreted it, at least).

So what in the heck can I do? The HP support website is useless, at least for something like this. But I can't find a way to even email someone a description of the problem!

Given that I use my printer about twice a year - and that I have to change the printer ink about that often, since it doesn't get used - I'm tempted to just uninstall everything from HP and give it up. But before I do anything too drastic, I thought I'd post here first.

Advice, please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

In the USA/Canada, you can call HP at 1 866-724-8600.

You don't need the HP support solutions framework software unless you rely on the HP Support Assistant or use HP Orbit.

I don't know if it is required for printers because I don't own any HP printers.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi:

In the USA/Canada, you can call HP at 1 866-724-8600.

You don't need the HP support solutions framework software unless you rely on the HP Support Assistant or use HP Orbit.

I don't know if it is required for printers because I don't own any HP printers.

HP Recommended

Hi,

It is not required for printers, it is only used to automatically detect a printer driver via HP Support.

You can uninstall the HP support solutions framework with no worries at all.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

OK, guys, thanks for the help!

I'll try uninstalling the Support Solutions Framework software, and if that doesn't work, I'll call that number.

PS. I wanted to indicate that both replies were solutions to my problem. Apparently, that's not possible, but I appreciate both answers!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, none of this actually helped (not your fault).

I can't uninstall the HP Support Solutions Framework. When I try to do that from the Control Panel, I get a message that "There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."

So I called that number to talk to someone from HP.  Wow, what an exercise in frustration!  I was transferred four times to different techs, with none of them seeming to think that the HP Support Solutions Framework software was their problem. (Most of them spoke so softly that I could barely hear them.)

Eventually, I was transferred to someone who gave me a high-pressure sales pitch about signing up to pay a monthly support fee for service. I told him I just wanted to uninstall one piece of their software, and I asked him how much that would cost (and if I'd have to pay if they didn't actually get that done).

And... I got disconnected. I assume that they just got tired of talking to me. Certainly, they had my phone number, but they never called back.

HP... is not making a happy customer here!

HP Recommended

Sorry that no one at HP was able to help you with getting that software uninstalled.

If you have a HP PC, make sure that you don't have the HP Support Assistant program installed.

If you do, then you need to uninstall that first before attempting to uninstall the HP Support Solutions Framework

Other than that, you can do an internet search...can't uninstall the HP Support Solutions Framework

a few examples...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/HP-Support-Solutions-Framework-...

http://www.uninstallapp.com/article/How-to-uninstall-hp-support-solutions-framework-by-hewlett-packa...

http://www.uninstallhelps.com/how-to-uninstall-hp-support-solutions-framework-by-hewlett-packard1.ht...

HP Recommended

Hi,

If you still experiencing issues uninstalling the software and the HP Support Assistant is uninstalled as well as suggested.

Another suggestion I may add would be to run the Microsoft Fix It utility below,

then try uninstalling the HP software with the help of this utility and check if it may remove the application from your PC using that method:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed...

Hope that may help, else please let me know,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Again, thanks for the help, guys. My problem is fixed, I'm... almost certain, but it's been a chore.

Eventually, I gave up and went with paid support from Kaspersky - a one-time payment good for only three days, instead of an annual contract. They worked for nine hours straight on it yesterday! 🙂

Removing that HP software was one of the first things they did, but Microsoft was apparently wrong about that causing my problem. Then again, I'm not sure that Kaspersky ever figured out what the problem was, either.

But after nine hours yesterday, they did a fresh install of Windows this morning, and that's worked, apparently. I'm still struggling to get my computer back to normal. I've got backups, but everything takes time. And I'm never sure if I've got everything.

But hey, I'm happy to have no error messages. And actually, I'm happy to have a fresh install of Windows, too. After... years of updates (including to Windows 10 in the first place), my system was probably a mess. Somewhere in that mess, there developed a problem. I don't know where, exactly, and I don't know why.

Anyway, thanks again for the help. I'm not impressed with HP's tech support options, but their forum seems to be top-notch!

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad you were able to get the issue resolved.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.