Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 7858
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have previously posted about problems I had installing the software for my new HP Envy 7858. 

I finally have most of it installed and thought I had the I.R.I.S. OCR software as well because I saw an icon my desktop. Turns out that was not the software, but a link to the website to upgrade to a newer version.

So I found a previous thread in this forum on downloading I.R.I.S. and installed it.  I followed the instructions and it found my printer. I was able to run a test file from it and seemed to work. 

However, according to the thread, it's supposed to work directly with the HP scanner software, not as a standalone program (I think it's only activated temporarily). But when I opened the scanner, it did not show the OCR  option as described in the thread.

I am posting here because I am unable to add to that thread.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I asked to purchase the activation code for IRIS and they told me I'll have to buy the upgrade. But they gave me a promotion code to get version 17 for $29 - the regular price is $99 so that was a good deal. I have purchased the upgrade and it provides a number of OCR formats, including searchable image PDF, Word, and Excel. So I'm satisfied.

I have to use it as a stand-alone program. The HP scanner program does not support it.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@ros2004

I don't think OCR software is included with your printer

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c05578596#AbT17

You have to buy it to be able to use it with your printer. The software should work under HP Scan umbrella as shown

ocrv.png

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

@banhien,

I had downloaded the complete software package as we discuss in my earlier thread at https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-Printing/HP-Envy-ed7858-Installation-Fail/m-p/6811776#M746970. That package included the IRIS software but I was unable to complete the installation because of the error message I kept receiving.

The package also include HP Photo Creations which I also couldn't install using the packager. I was able to download it separately and install it.

So, are you saying that it was included in the package as an available option but I'd have to pay for it? 

HP Recommended

@ros2004

You don't have to pay for HP Photo Creations software but for OCR (IRIS) software you have to activate it to be able to use. After 30 days, if not activated, you have to pay.

The activation process will check your printer

(a) If eligible, it will activate,

(b) If NOT, it won't activate and you have to buy.

From my previous reply, I can't find information from its specs re: OCR software is included.

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

@banhien

Thank you for checking. I believe the software is included because when I first started it, it told me that it will activate automatically once the print driver is installed. Please see the screenshots. In the second shot, it gave me the option to activate (with a key) or skip to activiate from the printer. However, when I selected Skip, it didn't exit but opened the software.

I then went to register it and it pretty much told me that it is included with the purchase of an HP scanner/printer.

However, I still don't have the OCR option when I open the scanner software. Thinking that I might need to install the printer software AFTER installing IRIS, I even uninstalled and reinstalled the printer driver and went through the whole setup process again (I couldn't find a way of reinstalling just the scanner), but it still doesn't give me the OCR option.

I'm wondering if it's because I've been installing everything piecemeal instead of from the HP complete installation package.

IRIS.JPGIRIS2.JPG

HP Recommended

@ros2004

Now click Activate Now, what next do you see ? It will check software (you have to install printer software FIRST) and give you a list.

(a) If eligible, your printer should be on the list, select it and it will activate,

(b) If your printer is not on the list, sorry you have to buy.

Option: You can try few other free software (if you could not activate IRIS):

https://www.naps2.com/
http://free-ocr-to-word.en.softonic.com/
http://www.free-ocr.com/
https://www.naps2.com/

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

When I click Activate Now it just asks for a product key.

I clicked the link to purchase the product and it took me to the website to purchase the new version 17. It looks like they aren't even selling version 14, which is what has been installed.

I just remembered, at one point (I don't remember when in the process because I've been through so many iterations) it did check for my printer and found it. Of course, that was probably to make the connection, not necessarily to activate it.

And, again, when I registered IRIS using their registration program, it definitely told me that it is included with the purchase of the HP scanner/printer.

It says this version lasts for 10 days. I guess I'll see what happens then.

HP Recommended

@banhien,

Thank you for trying to help me resolve this issue. However, I should be able to find out whether or not this software is included with my printer. 

Is there an HP Customer Support phone number or email? I have registered my printer and have looked everywhere for a number to call, without any luck.

I asked the "Virtual Agent" and the response is shown in the screenshot below.

VirtualAgent.JPG

(The Read More link only produces an error message.) This message seems to indicate that the IRIS software is included because it did come with the downloaded printer software. Selecting Activate Now in the software requires me to enter a key and doesn't give an option to buy it without upgrading. 

HP Recommended

I wanted to follow up in case anybody else is having this problem.

Yesterday, I called the customer support phone number included with the email acknowledging my printer registration. It is 800-336-1321. 

The first agent I talked to confirmed that this software is included with the Envy 7800 series printer. I didn't get much further before getting cut off. 

When I called again, I let the second second agent take control of my computer while she tried to reinstall everything again (which I tried to tell her was no point because I had been through the process several times).  After she couldn't get it to activate either, she told me it was outside of her scope and that I'd have to call ReadIris to ask about activation.

I had also asked her about the low print cartridge - the color cartridge that came with the printer is very low after only about 10 or 12 test prints - and she sold me on the Instant Ink program, which seems like a pretty good deal especially since I got the first 5 months free.

So, after hanging up with her, I tried to call IRIS with the phone number she gave me, but they wanted me to leave a message. So I used their website to send them my issue by email. Today I received a reply telling me that the Envy 7858 is not a "qualifying model" so they can't activate the software.

So I called HP again and talked to a third agent. She said that the HP Envy is not OCR capable and that only the OfficeJet series supports the ReadIris OCR!  I argued that if it wasn't capable, first, why would it be included in the HP software download package for the Envy 7800 series, and second, it's obviously capable because I'm able to use the trial version to successfully perform OCR.

I don't think she understood the difference between "not capable" and "not supported or not licensed for" but continued to insist that the HP Envy specifications doesn't support OCR and apologized for the misleading information on the HP Support website from where I downloaded the software.

So, it appears that HP provides the software as part of the installation package but which actually isn't included. I have an email to IRIS asking if I can purchase an activation code for the version I have (the website it links to only gives the option to purchase the newer version).

HP Recommended

I asked to purchase the activation code for IRIS and they told me I'll have to buy the upgrade. But they gave me a promotion code to get version 17 for $29 - the regular price is $99 so that was a good deal. I have purchased the upgrade and it provides a number of OCR formats, including searchable image PDF, Word, and Excel. So I'm satisfied.

I have to use it as a stand-alone program. The HP scanner program does not support it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.