Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5642
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Bought the HP ENVY 5642 today and installed it wirelessly to my wifes PC fine with zero issues. I tried using the same install wizard on my PC and get all the way to Network Device Installation. It completes but in devices and printers it still has the generic printer icon and says Driver is unavailabe. Sometimes It finishes and says unsuccessful network installation. The printer is fully connected to the network and the configuration print showed no problems. I have uninstalled and reinstalled all software several times. I tried the HP Scan Doctor which tells me all the drivers aren't installed and just redownloads the installer I used in the first place and I go through all the steps to the same result. Any help would be very much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello, @wyre6330,

Appreciate your efforts.

So even now, the installation still failed. I would suggest you try the Windows built-in drivers. Follow the steps below:

•    Go to Control Panel - Devices and printers - Click on "Add printer" and follow the on-screen instructions.

•    When the page prompts for the drivers, select "Windows update". The driver list will be updated.

•    Click HP, Hewlett Packard, or Hewlett-Packard in the Manufacturer pane, and then click the name of your printer in the Printers pane.

•   Turn on the printer and connect it to the network.

• Printers with a control panel menu: Open the Wireless Setup Wizard from the WirelessSettings, or Network Setup menu. Select your network name, and then enter the password to complete the connection.
  • Printers without a control panel menu: Press and hold the Wireless button on the printer until the light starts blinking. Within two minutes press and hold the WPS button on the router. The light on the printer stops flashing when the connection completes.
  • Printers being connected with an Ethernet cable: Connect the cable to the port  on the rear of the printer and to an available port on the router.

•   Make sure your computer is connected to same network the printer is connected to.

•   In Windows, search for and open Add a printer or scanner.

•   Click Add a printer or scanner. Wait for Windows to locate the printer. When found, click the printer name, and then click Add device to complete the setup.

If your printer is not found, click The printer that I want isn't listed. In the Find a printer by other options window, select an option to locate and add the printer.

Here is a link for more information: HP printer setup (Windows built-in driver)

Let me know if that helps. Good luck!

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hello, @wyre6330 – Hope you are well 🙂

Thank you for becoming an HP Forum member. It is a great platform to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others.

I understand that you are having issues while installing the new HP Envy printer. Let’s try performing a clean install and check. Follow the steps mentioned below:

• First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Envy printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Click the bottom-left Start button on desktop, type device manager in the search box and tap Device Manager on the menu.
  • Once in device manager, click on the view tab in the top & choose “Show hidden devices”.
  • Then from the device manager list, check the entries under “Printer”  – If there are any entries, please right click and choose “uninstall” – In the confirm device un-install pop-up, make sure you select the box which says “Delete the driver software for this device".
  • Also, check the entries under "printer queue" and "imaging devices" and repeat the same exercise. Delete any printer entry or any entry which says “Unknown device”.
  • Once done, close device-manger. Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to “run” window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Now restart your computer again.
  • Click on HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloadsand install the software.
  • In the connection window, select “Wireless” and follow the on-screen instructions to finish the setup.

Please let me know if this answers your query, or if you require further assistance.

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Unfortunately That did not fix it. Same problem. However I was unable to get rid of two processes that belonged to the winows spooler subsystem app.

HP Recommended

Hello, @wyre6330,

Appreciate your efforts.

So even now, the installation still failed. I would suggest you try the Windows built-in drivers. Follow the steps below:

•    Go to Control Panel - Devices and printers - Click on "Add printer" and follow the on-screen instructions.

•    When the page prompts for the drivers, select "Windows update". The driver list will be updated.

•    Click HP, Hewlett Packard, or Hewlett-Packard in the Manufacturer pane, and then click the name of your printer in the Printers pane.

•   Turn on the printer and connect it to the network.

• Printers with a control panel menu: Open the Wireless Setup Wizard from the WirelessSettings, or Network Setup menu. Select your network name, and then enter the password to complete the connection.
  • Printers without a control panel menu: Press and hold the Wireless button on the printer until the light starts blinking. Within two minutes press and hold the WPS button on the router. The light on the printer stops flashing when the connection completes.
  • Printers being connected with an Ethernet cable: Connect the cable to the port  on the rear of the printer and to an available port on the router.

•   Make sure your computer is connected to same network the printer is connected to.

•   In Windows, search for and open Add a printer or scanner.

•   Click Add a printer or scanner. Wait for Windows to locate the printer. When found, click the printer name, and then click Add device to complete the setup.

If your printer is not found, click The printer that I want isn't listed. In the Find a printer by other options window, select an option to locate and add the printer.

Here is a link for more information: HP printer setup (Windows built-in driver)

Let me know if that helps. Good luck!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

So I got it to work.  Even though it shows the printer twice as a printer to set up I had to click that it wasn't listed and then select my printer is older. After that only one ENVY printer showed up and when I selected it it actually installed correctly and test printed a page. It took a few minutes for the printer to finish setting up, but it works perfectly now. Thank you for all the help.

HP Recommended

Hello @wyre6330,

Great stuff! Glad to know that you were able to fix the issue.

Please consider marking my post as "Accepted solutions" to help other users with the same issue to find a solution more efficiently. Click on "Thumps up" to give me "Kudos".

Visit us again if you have any concerns!

Thank you 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

I was having the same issue as this problem.  I followed the steps but when I tried to let windows install it, I got a message saying, 'Windows can't install the HP Officejet PRo 8610 kernel-mode print driver.  To obtain a driver that is compatible with the version of Windows you are running, contact the manufacturer.'   The most frustrating part about this is that this computer was working fine with the printer until the hard drive crashed twice.  now I can not get it connected to the printer!  Can you help?

HP Recommended

Hello, @stml44

Thanks for reaching out! I'd like to help 🙂

Going through the post, it seems to be an issue with the operating system on your PC. Did you use the recovery partition or a CD / USB to reinstall the Windows after the hardware crashed? 

I'd suggest you perform a complete reinstall of the operating system using a recovery CD and then try to install the printer. 

Let me know if that helps!

Have a great day 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Since I am not able to reinstall operating systems, I took it to the geek squad to perform what you said.  They reinstalled the operating system for the second time and installed the hp drivers for the printer at the store.  I got home and it connected the first time.  Thank you for your help!  

HP Recommended

Hello, @stml44

Thanks for the update & Glad to know that you were able to fix the issue 🙂

Please consider marking my post as "Accepted Solutions" to help other users with the same issue to find a solution more efficiently. Click on "Thumbs up" to give me "Kudos".

Visit us again if you have any concerns!

Thank you again and may you also have a great day and even better tomorrow 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.