Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OJ 6958
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Setup WiFi went normal, can communicate with printer, see settings, what is printing, etc

BUT when sending a Test Page,  get error message "could not send, etc...."

"The Parameter is incorrect"

Installed software on another computer, same result.

Uninstalled software, re-installed with USB connection... same result.. The Parameter is incorrect"

Cannot send a test page OR do any printing from a Windows App like MS Word/Wordpad/Notepad of

any Windows printing product.

Took first printer back to Costco and got a replacement... same problem

any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Solved by HP Tech SME (upper level tech support)

Seems that their Install/Setup requires unlimited access to the system "Temp" files

Once Security settings were changes for "all".. everything went to normal.

Thanks tech "Willy"

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi! @Victoria1223, Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I understand when you send a test page from your printer you are getting an error could not send the parameter is incorrect error on your PC.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

Are you able to make a copy from your printer?

Is your printer working with USB connection?

Please provide when you send a test page from your printer you are getting an error could not send the parameter is incorrect error on your PC.

As you mentioned you have wireless connection issues with your printer and you need to know is it safe to upgrade firmware on your printer.

It sounds like a driver issue try uninstalling the printer software from root level on your PC and install the full feature printer software.

In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.

Select your HP printer.

Select Uninstall.

In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.

In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”

Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.

Type printui.exe /s and click OK.

Click on Drivers tab.

Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click remove at the bottom.

Select OK.

Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.

Close Devices and Printers.

Link to update the full feature printer software.

Try to disable IPv6 on the printer to make sure IPv4 is used by your printer and router on your network.

If your printer has a control panel with a display, find the IPv6 setting from the Advanced network settings menu, and set it to Off or Disabled.
From a computer connected to your network, type the IP address for your printer into the URL field of your Internet browser.
   NOTE:
If the webpage appears blank, try a different Internet browser.
Click the Network or Networking tab, and then open the section or page for your network type: wired or wireless.
Select Enable IPv4 only (or similar).
Click Apply, and then wait until the changes are confirmed.

Also, Try assigning a manual IP to your printer and check if it helps.

•                     Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to get the IP address.
•                     Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
•                     Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
•                     Click on the radio button which says, “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.

•                     Click on radio button which says, “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)
•                     Restart the printer and then router once done. 

If the issue still persists uninstall the printer software from your PC and install the windows built-in drivers and check if it helps.

Refer this article to know more information about printing using Windows built-in drivers.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot printer wireless issues.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

You have to be joking.. I have 4 computers and am supposed to do all the pages of instructions you provided.

I have been using HP printers for 20 years and have never had these kind of problems.

As another test, I brought my OJ4630 (100% working with Windows 10 64bit) from home.

Downloaded the latest setup package from your site

Installed with no problems, tried to print a test page.... Failed !!

So setup for two HP products failed

Seems that HP should have updated their setup programs as I suspect that I am not the first

person with this problem.

Better come up with a better solution than your first attempt.

HP Recommended

@Victoria1223,

I have reviewed the post.

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number.

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Update

Connected OJ to network, callled up the IP Address and was connected to the printer.

As a second test did a PING and it worked  fine.

Followed procedures to remove all old drivers using printui.exe /s

followed procedures to use/install Windows drivers only

Added printer, printer showed in Devices and Printers, status.. No Driver

Went to Windows update, verified that to download other MS software was checked.

Windows Update ran for about an hour and found no driver. all up to date

So without a driver, I have nothing

BTW, been around this stuff for a while and do not appreciate suggestions like change my DNS

Server to Google.... kind of like a waste of words and avoiding the real issue.

HP Recommended

Got curious, added HP Smart to my phone.... was able to connect to the OJ4630 and print documents

So printer is Ok.

Still no valid driver for Windows 10 64bit for either the OJ4630 or the OJ6958

HP Recommended

Seems that their Install/Setup requires unlimited access to the system "Temp" files

Thanks tech "Willy"

HP Recommended

Can you expound on this please. I tried running the installer as administrator which should have given it the right permissions but still get the ##mn The parameter is incorrect message when trying to print a test page or from notepad. Also can't print a document with arial font from my printer but can from my wifes.

Thanks,

Bob

@Victoria1223wrote:

Thanks tech "Willy"

HP Recommended

Thanks for the tip :ThumbUp:

Had the same problem with printjobs either throwing the 'parameter is incorrect' message, or just disappearing into the ether with no error messages.

Connectivity, Device Status, scanning and admin functions all fine but no print jobs output.

Changing security to provide full permissions for Users on the %temp% folder resolved the problem.

I am using Windows 10 - 32 bit with an HP Color Laserjet Pro MFP M277dw.
This happens on two machines I have with Win10,  my Win 7 machines don't have this problem.

HP Recommended

Guys its nice that ou solved the problem, but please can you let the rest of us know the steps that you used to allow fulll access to the %temp% file please.

Thank you

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.