Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8610

I have recently purchased HP OfficeJet Pro 9010  and joined HP Smart.

On the “Accounts Dashboard” this new printer is shown together with my old printer HP Officejet Pro 8610 which has been recycled. The old printer is also shown on the side menu “Printers” and also “Solutions/ Smart Security”.

I have searched the HP Smart app trying to delete this obsolete printer, but have been unable to find any solution. On my HP Smart app there is no “Settings” which might be used.

When on the “Printers” page each printer has a menu underneath called “Printer options.” On the new printer Pro 9010 there is an option to “Remove Printer”. However, on the obsolete printer this menu only has one option “Manage Printer Setting” which takes me to a page showing my new printer. I would have expected to find a “Remove Printer” in this menu but there is non. Clearly something is missing here. Very frustrating.

While the HP Smart app works perfectly on this iMac, the presence of this ghost printer is just annoying.

I can only assume this old printer is still registered with HP but there is no way of accessing this information so that this printer can be deleted for good.

Any help would be much appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@shireburn 

Welcome to the HP Community --

Forgive the extra verbiage -- I've used different ways to describe this situation -- I am still looking for the magic that makes the most sense to the most people.  Read on...

Part of the confusion might be a result of HP wanting to call everything "Smart".

For Example,

HP Smart -- Print / Scan application available for Windows and Mobile Devices, possibly MacOS

HP Smart Printing - clever and modern print queue GUI / manager sometimes installed with HP Smart (the app)

HP Smart -- Printer Connection for ePrint / Print Anywhere

HP Account - not named "Smart" but can be confused with all the other sign-ins and management

First... Where were you?

Possibly here...

Printers / Allowed Users “HP Connected”

HP Smart / HP Connected Login

Click Flag to switch to your region

Account Dashboard

Select Printers > In Section Printer Options > Click Manage Printer Settings

If the printer is listed in "My printers", then yes, you can remove it if the option to do so is presented.

Removing the printer from the HP Smart / Connected account does not remove the device elsewhere.

Reference

HP Smart / HP Connected –

HP Printers - Update Your HP Smart Account Information

and

Scroll down > FAQ > Section: How do I remove a printer from my HP Smart account?

========================================

What to do?

Assuming the unwanted printer is not still tied to an Instant Ink Account

AND

You have gone through the steps to uninstall and remove the unwanted printer's apps and software from your computer and other devices,

(then)

What you actually want / need to get rid of the old printer is likely here:

HP Account Dashboard

-------------------- --------------------

HP Account - Management / Device Lists / Warranty and Product Information

HP Account - Login / Dashboard

HP Device list, Cases, Warranty information, How-to / Troubleshooting, Product and Service information, Add or Delete a device

Example - HP Dashboard - Devices

HP_Account_Dashboard_6HP_Account_Dashboard_6

What else?

If you are one of those who uses (has installed) the HP Support Assistant,

Check here, too...

Example - HPSA - Profile - Remove Device

HPSA_Profile_Remove_Device_2HPSA_Profile_Remove_Device_2

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

References / Resources

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources

Learn about your Printer - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category Topic Subtopic

NOTE: Content depends on device type and Operating System

CategoriesAlerts, Troubleshooting, Ink & Paper, HP Software / Drivers / Firmware Updates , Setup & User Guides, Product Specifications, Account & Registration, Warranty & Repair

Open

HP OfficeJet Pro 9010 All-in-One Printer series  

Thank you for participating in the HP Community --

People who own, use, and support HP devices.

Click Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click my Post "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hello Dragon

Many thanks for your comprehensive answer to my problem.

I have tried your suggestions without any success.

I notice that your Dashboard is totally different to mine. I am using an iMac and my dashboard seems to be much simplified. And what is missing is the “delete” button for the unwanted printer.

I have contacted HP through their HP Support Assistant and might hope for some comeback.

I am convinced this ghost printer can only be deleted from their side.

Best wishes

Shireburn

HP Recommended

@shireburn 

You are welcome.

Too bad about the OS --

The information for the Dashboard comes from a browser website.

Sure - it's possible that the page is presented differently. 

I don't have a way to test for you. 

I've checked the Dashboard web page on iOS -- the website format, squished to fit on the iPhone screen, is indeed smaller.  The blue circle-X delete button is present next to each device.

If you are trying instead to remove a printer from the HP Smart application, then yes - the layout is much different.

If you are trying to remove a printer that was once connected (subscribed) to Instant Ink, then yes - I've read that even if the printer is listed in various places, the stubborn device might not "remove".  No, I don't have any idea why that would be true.  Sounds silly that you would be ghosted forever for having had a subscription to an ink service.  ??

I'll test iPadOS -- perhaps there is something in that OS that is more reminiscent of iMac / MacOS.  If I find anything useful, I'll post back.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community --

People who own, use, and support HP devices.

Click Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click my Post "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hello Dragon

Many thanks again

Kind regards

Shireburn

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.