Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended

HP ENVY laptop trying to wirelessly print to HP ENVY 8500 Series.  I moved from a house where we had a WiFi/Router to a townhouse.  Is there a way to use my iPhone "HotSpot" to print my jobs from laptop rather than purchasing internet and a router?  I use the HotSpot for laptop internet, TV movie streaming, etc.  I'm trying to avoid purchasing an internet service & router just to print....  and also avoid running a direct-connect chord across carpet.  Any help appreciated.  I cannot seem to get the printer to recognize anything.  The laptop sees the printer but says it is off-line of course.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I think you have OfficeJet 8500 probably the A909 as I cannot find an Envy 8500

The spec sheet here does not list the 5ghz band so you can connect directly to the printer only using that 2.4ghz band.

I suspect your iPhone does not allow choosing 2.4 or 5ghz. My iPhone 12 does not have that option. If the townhome WiFi is both 2.4 and 5ghz AND they use a different name for the 2.4 then that is how you can connect to the printer.  You will have to use the 2.4 band.

Get a network report from the printer and look for its wi-fi direct name.  Then on your iPhone run HP Smart and have it look for that name.

Let me know if the printer is not the 909

If you reset the printer it is in setup mode for only 2 hours as I recall.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.