Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended

Hi...I have an HP LaserJet Pro M201dw that is suddenly in idle status.  Currently running Sonoma 14.4.1 on MacBook Pro.

I have tried resetting printing system, unplugging power from the printer and the wall.  There is nothing in the queue.  

How do I fix this?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Mimi5401,

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

I'd be happy to help you! 

To better assist you - Is there an antivirus software installed on your Mac? If yes, please try disabling it and check if it works.

While you respond to that, go to System Information to check if the USB is detected or not - 

a.) From the Apple menu, choose About This Mac.

b.) Click System Report.

c.) Under the Hardware heading on the left side of the System Information window, click USB. USB 3 devices appear under USB 3.0 Bus, and USB 2 devices appear under USB 2.0 Bus. The printer should be under the USB 2.0 Bus.

If the device is not detected, it may not be receiving enough power or it may be blocked by internet security software. You may also try other ports on the hub or a different cable.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

Elohi_NR
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi and thanks for your response.  USB is 3.1 BUS .  I disabled malwarebytes/free and printer is still idle.  I had stopped a print order before this happened.,  Printer said there was a paper jam (there wasn't) and then the idle status.

HP Recommended

Hi @Mimi5401 ,

We apologize for the inconvenience, but it seems that the issue persists even after attempting the troubleshooting steps mentioned above as this could be a hardware issue. 

Unfortunately, there are no further actions we can take through this channel. I recommend reaching out to our phone support for further assistance.

This might require one-on-one interaction to fix the issue via remote assistance. 

I've sent you a private message with further instructions. In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Support Community profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link.

Elohi_NR
I am an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.