Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5540
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have just deduced that when my Bitdefender VPN is connected to internet, then my printer will not connect to the computer.  I am reading various setting changes etc to possibly correct this, but wouldn't it be easy and very much simpler just to disable the VPN connection when printing?   Or is this not a good idea and why?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Once you connect to VPN then connect with the printer is lost, the computer in on a different network (VPN) and it is not possible to be connected to 2 networks at the same time.

My profile on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Once you connect to VPN then connect with the printer is lost, the computer in on a different network (VPN) and it is not possible to be connected to 2 networks at the same time.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Thank you - it took me a long time to work out what was happening, but your reply explains why and so it would just be best to disconnect by icon the VPN connection whenever I want to print and problem solved.....

HP Recommended

Hi.  Sorry to barge into this conversation but I'm afraid that is not correct.  There are many, many VPNs out there (ExpressVPN, for one) that will let you connect to your printer by selecting the setting to "Allow access to devices on local network."  I have no idea about BitDefender's VPN but it might be time for a change if they don't support this important feature.

HP Recommended

Thanks - I will of course look into this.  It is not much of a bother to disconnect and reconnect, but a nuisance all the same especially forgetting when printing is required.  I will have a look at the settings and then contact BitDefender if necessary.  Happy Christmas all....

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.