Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Officejet 8610

My 8610 is an an infinite loop.

I turn it on, it complains about a damaged cartridge, so I open the front door to replace.

When I open the door, the carriage does NOT move, and the error message now says to close the door to print.

I close the door, and the original damaged cartidge error message returns.

I had been having trouble with my cartridges, so I must add that I tried to reset the printer, by pressing the screen in the bottom left corner four times when powering up. Then I got to the maintenance menu, and did the simplest reset, and now I have this problem.

But I cant get to any reset menu now, and I have tried unplugging, waiting and plugging back in, and I have tried forcefully moving the cartridge, but nothing works.

I have read the other post about the 8600 carriage stuck, no help there.

Help please!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Welcome back to the forums @eichelmanii🙂

I read about the cartridge error and carriage jam you're facing on your Officejet 8610, and I wanted to respond with my own suggestions. Please see the links I posted for you below and try the steps to see if they can help resolve the errors and jam. If either issue continues afterwards, then please call phone support to discuss a replacement printer or upgrade.

A 'Carriage Jam' Message Displays

A 'Cartridge Missing' or 'Incompatible Ink Cartridges' Error Message Displays

Click the thumbs up below to show appreciation for my help!

Click the "Accept as Solution" if I have guided you to a solution!

Contact HP:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number

Case number and phone number appear

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hello,  This is most liekly due to the fact that HP has a programmed a failure into the printer.  YOu may have received this as part of a recent firware update in the last year. If you are not useing HP ink catridges which are overpriced the printer is programmed to fail to print as of 9/13/16.  So are you using an off brand ink.  There probably is no issue with your printer or ink at all other than HP is not making a profit off of you and wants to leverage you into purchasing thier ink.  SOme pricinters which do not have a network connection have thes failure preprogrammed in from the factory. 

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2016/09/hp-is-blocking-unofficial-replacement-cartridges-for-its-inkjet...

I will be screen capturing all of these replies to I can document how many  times HP support delets or removes these responses in order to hide the true nature of most of these issues.  

HP Recommended

Become a hacker, use Google to find a guide I wrote called "How to downgrade firmware on HP OfficeJet Pro 8610 to allow using old or refilled cartridges", follow the links to download older, non-crippled firmware and push it to the printer connected via Ethernet or WiFi to its IP address on port 9100 via "hacktool" Netcat.

Beware, Windows antivirus SW tends to consider netcat as virus/hacktool/malware, which is a little misleading. Exclude nc.exe from the antivirus and run it as administrator.

Linux and Mac OS X have netcat too.

Good luck.

HP Recommended

Mine has just gone back to the store I bought it at 18 months ago (2 year guarantee :generic: ). Having worked absolutely fine for the last 13-14 months on non HP cartridges, iIt conked out last week and I went through 6 new cartridges before deciding to look on the web to see if there was an issue.. . I am told I will get a replacement in 7-10 days. If I have the same issue, I'll try pushing the firmware back, but if that doesn't work it will be returned again for a refund.

If anyone here from HP has any other suggestions for 'allowing' my printer to work with non HP cartridges, please reply ASAP!

I think this is appalling from HP, if not illegal under European law (at least).

I have spent a lot on HP products over the years, but no more. They have lost me as a customer, and I'll be spreading the word (already have!). One wonders who it was at HP that decided this was a good idea, and whether they are still with the company!

HP, please help if you can.

HP Recommended

The printer is 7 months out of warranty.

My one option is to pay for phone support.

And they are likely to tell me the problem was nonHP ink,

but will they tell me the problem is their firmware and they will replace it?

My inkjet seller, and the posts below, point the finger to HP.

If this is true, how can you work there?

Signed, 

A previously very happy HP user, an advocate for buying all things HP, who still loves his laptop, and I almost joined the company as a software engineer,

Disgruntled

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.