Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart C4380
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

I have been using my HP Photosmart C4380  for years without a problem.  I've upgraded to OS X Yosemite v.10.10.4 and with that I regularly do automatic driver updates through the Apple Software Update.  Recently my wireless connection to the printer stopped working.  In the past I simply reconnected it via USB and ran the Network Wizard Setup app to reconnect it to the network.  I can't seem to find that app anymore with the new software updates.  I've tried configuring it through the new HP Utility app to no avail.  The Setup New Device and HP Auto Wireless Connect options cannot locate my printer unless connected to USB and will not give me an option to configure the network settings.

I have referenced http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04510394/ also with no luck.  The printer does not have a Wireless Wizard Setup on it's LCD options as per Step 1 under the wireless connection instructions.  And the WPS option in Step 2 does not work becuase the wifi button on the printer only brings up the Network  menu where my only options are to turn the wireless radio on/off and to print a configuration page.  There are no options to connect to a network.

Connecting the printer to my laptop via USB works in a pinch if I need to print something, but I'd like to not be tethered to it and restore my wifi connection which used to work in the past.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi @EDitty,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I noticed that you cannot connect wirelessly with your HP Photosmart c4380 on Mac OS X 10.10. I am happy to look into this connection issue for you!

Please, see this other post that I did, Re: Setting up wireless for HP Photosmart C4780. Even though your printer is an HP Photosmart c4380, I believe that these steps will help.

Let me know what happens! :generic:

“Please click the Thumbs up icon below to thank me for responding.”

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

I got as far as getting into my printer's network settings using the temporary IP address, however there is no Wireless Wizard button.  I can find SSID and WEP option under advanced settings in the Network tab, but when ever I tried to apply those, the server freezes out.

I also tried adding the printer through the Printer & Scanners Settings page on my Mac while the printer was connected locally and was able to print, but when I switched back to my wifi from my local connection, obviously it would no longer work.  Seem like I'm still having a very difficult time getting my printer onto the wifi setting.

HP Recommended

Hi EDitty,

I would try to reset the printing system, OS X Yosemite: Reset the printing system. What is the printer's IP address that you are seeing? 

By any chance do you have another computer that you could try to do the wireless setup on? 

Hope to hear from you soon! :generic:

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

HP Recommended

I reset the printing system.  Still not having any luck.

I can only get my printer as far as a temporary 169.254.207.168 IP address.  

That brings me to this page with two tabs.

HP Setup Networking Tab 1

In this tab, I'm able to change the SSID to my network and add the WEP.  I've tried both Infrastructure and Ad Hoc (since I didn't know which to use) but both have not been successful.  

HP Setup Networking Tab 2

The page times out after awhile and I click my wifi setting to check the connection.  I can then connect to my printer whose name has changed from hpsetup to my network name...but is still listed under devices.  

So I click on that device and run another newtork config page and I still get the same 169.254.207.168 IP address.

So then I tried two things:

1. Switching over to my actual wifi network with the name network name.  This does not read my printer anymore and I get an 0.0.0.0 IP address

2. While connected to the network listed under devices, I tried adding the Printer in my Printer & Scanner settings.  This works and prints, but only when connected under the devices wifi, and not my normal wifi.  When I switch to my normal wifi and try to print, it can no longer find the printer. 

I seem to be having trouble getting an 192.168 IP address for my printer so that it can read on my normal Wifi network without being listed as just a device....

HP Recommended

Hi EDitty,

Have you tried clicking the Apply on the IPv4 tab when Automatic IP is selected, if so, what happened? Do you have any other computers in the house? And if so, what operating systems do you have? Maybe, one of them has software for the printer, and thus could set up the wireless for you a little easier. :generic:

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Yes, I've tried hitting "apply" there as well.  The page just times out.  Would another browser work better?  I'm using Safari, but could use Chrome?

No other computers.  Just this one that runs Yosemite.  The weird part is that it used to connect just fine.

HP Recommended

Hi EDitty,

Trying another browser, is a good idea. You can try Firefox, or Google Chrome.

Hope this works! :generic:

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Any luck over the past two weeks? I've been working on the exact same problem for a week now and have gotten to your spot, and can't find a solution. The Network Configurations page freezes up and times out when I input my SSID & other info.

HP Recommended

Hi Gantenbein,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Please, see this guide, Setting Up the Printer for a Wireless Network for the HP Photosmart C4380 and C4500 All-in-One Print..., and try following the steps for OS X v10.8 Mountain Lion and OS X v10.9 Mavericks, as they will work on OS X v10.10. If that is what you are using.

Hope this helps! :generic:

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.