Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8500

We've been using our OfficeJet Pro 8500 flawlessly for several years when wirelessly connected to Macs of various models and OS's.

All of a sudden, our two current MacBook Pros have error messages of "Printer not connected" when attempting to print.

There have been no changes to configurations of the Macs, the printer or the router. Attempts to connect via IP have also failed. The printer shows its WiFi is turned on, yet it acts as if it's not.

I tried deleting the printer from my computer and reinstalling, but, again, it acts as if it's invisible.

My guess is it's a hardware failure, but I'm willing to entertain other suggestions.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @Ron_T_R

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query in this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are having issues printing from your Mac computer as the printer is offline.

I’d love to help!

Follow the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

http://hp.care/2lhfyxW

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I had the same issue as you are having.  My printer just stopped working about a week ago.  First, I printed a test configuration page, and it showed everything was working properly.  I am using a Mac Air and have my HP 8600 connected wirelessly.  For some reason I was able to scan, but could not print.  Like you, the prine que said that my printer was not connected, and while there was a print job in que, it noted that it could not find my printer.   I didn't try connecting a USB cable, as that is not a good option for me.  

Next,  I removed all the printers from the System Preferences.  I know you said you downloaded the drivers again, and it didn't help, but you may try it my way.  

I removed everything in the System Preferences (I reset the printing System by right clicking on the printer in System Preferences for printers, and selected "resest printing system").  That removed all my active printers

Then, I actually went online, completely registered my product, downloaded all the necessary software like I was installing a new printer, and after I did that everything worked.

I also use Paralells Desktop running Windows software.  I tested the printing there after all the new drivers were installed, and found it still didn't work in Windows.  I then went to the widows Control Panel under Devices and Printers and opened the print que and found that the printer was set to print offline.  I unchecked that, it service was continued for all windows printing as well.

I hope this works for you, as I trouble shooted this for over 4 hours before I decided to completely start over and re-register the printer online.

Best regards,

Michael

MFF
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.