Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@MrSmoofy wrote:

The fact that they claim is for "Eco Reasons" is absurd.

Here are my problems that I have with this.

When the printer shuts off you can no longer print and also you can no longer receive a fax it won't answer.

Secondly if there is a power outage causing your wireless router to reboot and the printer to reboot the printer will never reconnect to the wireless router you must turn the printer off and on again to get it to reconnect.

It is completely ridiculous.  But given the current eco political climate, this seems to be just about what the ever-so-predictable response would be.  A glorious cut-off-the-nose-to-spite-the-face solution complete with all the associated problems outlined in this thread.

It truly is a no-brainer to see that for things like receiving incoming faxes the printer/fax/mfp must stay on at all times.  The silly "no shutdown if port activity" feature is useless if the stupid thing has already shut down before receiving the incoming fax call.

Unfortunately, there are so many examples of this sort of thing happing in situations like this, HP's response really isn't a surprise, just a truly annoying predictibility.

HP Recommended

After some experimentation with the settings it does appear that the "Delay when ports are active" setting will indeed keep the printer from shutting down.

However, I would still fault HP for a vague and/or misleading description of this feature because as it stands the wording seems to imply there must be activity on the port directed at the printer for it to keep the printer from shutting down.  That's the conclusion I came to when seeing this option and from reading every post in this thread it would seem all the other post authors also concluded similarly.

Now the description in the user guide does say "An active network link or fax connection will prevent the printer from shutting down" and I guess technically that is descriptive enough.  But in reality it really isn't enough to prevent us from coming to the wrong conclusion.  They should have been more explicit in pointing out that any network activity (not just activity directed at the printer) or just the fact that the fax port has a cable plugged in (with no incoming fax activity) will effectively keep the printer from shutting down.

HP Recommended

@Olorin wrote:

After some experimentation with the settings it does appear that the "Delay when ports are active" setting will indeed keep the printer from shutting down.

Oh that would be nice.  Port activity keeping it awake? That was tried. Unless HP has released a new firmware to change the behavior, that device would go to sleep.

HP Recommended

@JRHelgeson wrote:

Oh that would be nice.  Port activity keeping it awake? That was tried. Unless HP has released a new firmware to change the behavior, that device would go to sleep.

I certainly don't know how all HP printers behave with this feature.  I have a LaserJet Pro MFP M130fw.  I bought it new a few days ago.  It's now been powered on in sleep mode for a few days.

I've not printed to it in that time nor interacted with it via the internal web server or the administration software, nor have I used the pannel to change or even look at anything on the printer.  I know that it has definitely powered off completely when that checkbox is unchecked.  With it checked, it has yet to power off.  Instead it just stays in sleep mode.

That's the behavior I want so I'm happy though I wish HP didn't design it's sleep mode to have the power button continually blinking off and on.  Distracting and extremely annoying!

HP Recommended

I am currently evaluating this printer during the 14 day period I have to see if I want to keep it. I have it connected only by wireless. It shuts itself off, setting was to delay shutoff while there was an active port. 20 hours ago I plugged an old USB thumb drive into the USB port on the front and it has not shut off yet.  If HP really designed this "feature" into the printer for ecological reasons then I find that to be an arrogant action on their part. They are saying that their corporate viewpoints are more important to them than their customer's needs. That alone would be enough for me to return this printer. Then I also consider the poor support and the installation process that installs 2 printers that are ALMOST identical except that one does not support auto 2 sided printing (probably the same install SW that is used for the 477 that does have 2 models one of which does not have auto 2 sided printing), the Wizards for Scan to Email and Scan to Network do not activate when selected and nothing is mentioned about registering the printer for warranty either during the SW install or in the documentation. I also installed the SW on a 32 bit computer and it continually failed with a message of "File not found".  I have had several HP printers and the SW install/drivers process has been about the same for each of them.

I read several reviews about this printer and other color laser printers, each review talked about the quality of photo printing. This is something I occasionally want to do and verified that the printer would feed 4" x 6" paper before buying it. I have yet to find a source for 4" x 6" laser photo paper. That is not an HP problem even though they did make that paper but discontinued it but it is an area of concern and will affect my decision process.

HP Recommended

@spamitdamit wrote:

I am currently evaluating this printer during the 14 day period I have to see if I want to keep it. I have it connected only by wireless. It shuts itself off, setting was to delay shutoff while there was an active port. 20 hours ago I plugged an old USB thumb drive into the USB port on the front and it has not shut off yet.

You make a good point.  I didn't test with a wireless only connection.  I forgot to mention that I used an ethernet cable connection for my network connection.  I don't have the manual in front of me at the moment but if I recall correctly it mentions a fax connection will keep it from shutting down.

If your experience holds true for HP products with this feature we may be able to generalize and say that this feature will keep the printer from shutting down if you have an active physical connection to it.  Wireless, non-physical, etc. types of connections apparently don't count.

HP Recommended

Just sharing my expereince here.  I just bought the M277dw and have it connected via wireless (no phone line, ethernet, or USB cable connected).  I have the Delay Shutdown When Ports Are Active setting enabled and it does not shut down after the specified period of inactivity.

HP Recommended

Hi Community

The printer suddenly turns off without warning. A print, copy, scan, or fax job fails because power might be low or the printer is off. The printer does not respond to any job when it is turned off. When the printer is connected to an outlet that supplying low power problem, the printer might turn off repeatedly.

Step 1: Change the energy settings (optional)

Your HP printer is designed to reduce power consumption when the printer is not active. Auto Power Off or Schedule On and Off enables the printer to turn off after two hours of inactivity. When you are ready to use your printer again, press the Power button to turn the printer back on.
Step 2: Restart the printer
Resarting the printer might resolve any connectivity error states.
  1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the printer.
  2. Unplug the power cord from the power source.
  3. Wait 60 seconds.
  4. Reconnect the power cord to a wall outlet and to the printer.

Step 3: Update the printer firmware

HP regularly releases printer updates. Updating the printer firmware might resolve the issue. You can update, here: HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads .

🛑You can check all process, here: HP Printers - Printer Turns Off Unexpectedly or Repeatedly 
Agatha
I work on behalf of HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.