Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Good afternoon people! 

I have been having a lot of issues with a HP Laserjet Pro 400 colour M451dn, I have all of the drivers installed locally which came with the printer on a Windows 7 64 bit PC. 

The problem is that the printer will always print double sided even if you set the settings in Printer propertise not to. 

I was wondering whether anyone had any experiance with this kind of issue before? 

Any help would be greatly apprciated. 

Tom

PS - I have attached the steps taken to try remedy this via printer propertise too. 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

I believe that some drivers are faulty, in that they:

• Include the requisite 'set duplex' control sequence in the generated print job when the user selects duplex for a print;
  • Do not include the requisite 'set simplex' control sequence in the generated print job when the user selects simplex for a print;
  • Hence the 'simplex' jobs do not override the printer's own default simplex or duplex setting; if this default is set to duplex, the job will print on both sides.

What you should be able to do is change the printers default from duplex to simplex (I can't be certain as I don't have access to this model of printer).

Easiest way to do this is probably via the Embedded Web Server interface: on the System tab, select the Paper Setup page, and change the Duplex setting from On to Off (or something along these lines).

HP Recommended

All of the settings you have included in your attached photo are from the device driver.

There are also options in the printer menu, on the printer front control panel which can be changed to disable a forced duplex (this option was implemented by HP to reduce waste, and offer an option to environmentally concisous customers to reduce costs of paper usage).

Print a Menu Map from the front panel of the printer and you should be able to see which menu tree for the duplexing option.

And as stated in the reply above; using the EWS by accessing the printer IP via a web Browser... will also allow you to change this setting.

I'm an HP ITRC Veteran.
To help others find the solution, please click "Accept as Solution" if this post solved your issue. Click the "Kudos Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post as a "Thanks" for helping!

Did you know HP has HP Printer Support videos for common issues?
HP also has HP Advanced Support videos for Commercial Products!
HP Recommended

@Jaclyn Rothe

>> ... options in the printer menu, on the printer front control panel which can be changed to disable a forced duplex ...

Not quite sure what you meant to say here (I suspect the same as my earlier comment, but not quite sure!).

In general (assuming no faults in driver, firmware, etc.), the order of precedence for print attributes is:

• application-specific settings
  • printer driver-specific settings for this print job
  • printer driver default settings
  • printer (front panel) default settings

So printer settings will not override settings defined by printer command within the print job.

HP Recommended

Actually, if you look at the photo the OP posted, the driver being used is for the Officejet 8100.

So if an incompatible driver is being used, you cannot assume the printer is utilizing normal precedence.

Which is why I suggested checking the duplexing settings on the Hardware. Duplexing is enabled by default unless changed.

Updating the firmware on the device is also recommended and can be downloaded by visiting;

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5076461&swItemId=ly_101819_7&swEnvOid=419...

I'm an HP ITRC Veteran.
To help others find the solution, please click "Accept as Solution" if this post solved your issue. Click the "Kudos Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post as a "Thanks" for helping!

Did you know HP has HP Printer Support videos for common issues?
HP also has HP Advanced Support videos for Commercial Products!
HP Recommended

I too struggled with issue on and off for over a year. I finally was determined to solve the problem. Follow these steps.

1. From the menu at the printer select settings then reports then configuration report.
  2. Under Product Settings on the printed report note the IPv4 Address.
  3. Type that address into your web browsers address field. This will take you into the printer itself.
  4. Select the "System" tab.
  5. Then select Paper Setup from the menu on the left of the page.
  6. Now change the "Duplex" option to OFF.
  7. Click Apply then exit out of the pages and now your printer will function normally i.e. if you select print both sides from the print preferences it will print both sides if you don't it will only print one sided.

I hope this saves you all a bunch of time and frustration.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.