Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Laserjet Pro M477fdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

my almost new HP Color Laserjet Pro is able to scan using the Automatic Document Feeder (ADF) also on both sides when it is controlled by the PC Software, but it does not use the ADF when selecting the scanner on the front panel of the printer. In this case it always scans from the flat bed not using the ADF. It also shows that a ducument is in the ADF !

This is definitively a problem of the firmware, because it is also not possible to select duplex scan like it can be done when selecting the copy function at the front panel !

Thank you HP in advance for updating the firmware!

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

I have this same problem on my new M477fdw.  I am able to scan to a USB memory stick from the ADF, but not scan to computer!!!  And it does show on the LCD that there is a document in the feeder.  Your post is over 4 months old.  Has it been resolved?

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with my M477fdw. Is there a solution yet?

HP Recommended

Hello HP community,

unfortunately i have still no solution for this problem - only HP itself can solve this.

Could anybody please open an official support case for this problem at HP !

Thanks.

HP Recommended

You have to put the documents in the AFD first and then go back to you computer and start the scanning from the software HP Scan. (Desktop iconnamne "HP CLJM477 Scan")

But i would like to stand by the printer and start scan so i dont have to run back and forth between my computer and the printer.....

HP Recommended
I would just like to chime in and state that I too have this problem. I just unbound the printer and installed the 20161020 firmware.
HP Recommended
*unboxed
HP Recommended

We are located in Sweden-Stockholm and have exactly same issue:

HP Laserjet Pro M477fdw
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The latest Firmware of the printer as todays date installed.
The printer is been installed as wirelessly.

Brand new HP Laserjet Pro M477fdw out of box is able to scan using the Automatic Document Feeder (ADF) as long as it controlled by the PC Software.

But it does not use the ADF when selecting the scanner on the front panel of the printer. In this case it always scans from the flat bed not using the ADF. It also shows that a ducument is in the ADF!

When the software is installed on a PC, the name on the PC appear on the screen on the front panel of the printer. But on same wi-fi network, we also have a iMac 27 inch with latest MasOS installed (Sierra). But the name of that iMac computer does not appear on the front panel of the printer. But scans from the ADF as long as you scan from the software on the iMac.

When selecting the Copy on the front panel of the printer it copyes from the ADF without any issue.

The issue by selecting scanner from ADF on the front panel is very bad and not acceptable!

HP Recommended

Resolved...........well, sort of.  I filed a warranty support claim, and after a few rounds with folks that really didn't understand the problem, I got ahold of level 3 (?) support.  And here's the scoop........the scan to computer feature, from the front panel, is actually not a supported feature!!!  They leverage a firmware platform for several models, and somehow they forgot to edit out/turn off this feature on our particular printer model.  So for now, I'm happy that I can scan from the PC into the PC, and that scan to computer from the front panel works from the glass and not the ADF.  And I'll think twice before updating my firmware in the future, since even this capability might vanish.  Hope that helps 

HP Recommended

Reading through the the posts it sounds like the devices are connected via a WSD port in Windows and you are seeing "Scan to Computer" from the control panel of the device. This is known as WS Scan and uses the Microsoft WIA drivers to scan. To change the scan sorce from Flatbed to Feeder. Try the following:

1. Open the devices and printers from the Windows control panel
  2. Right click on the print driver queue for the device
  3. Choose Scan Profiles...
  4. In the Scan Profiles dialog choose the scanner you want to modify
  5. Click the edit button
  6. In the Edit Profile select source and choose Feeder
  7. Click Save Profile
I am an HP employee
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.