Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have the Officejet 6700.  My wife tried to print from her Ipad today and the ink carriage is now stuck over on the right side.  I open the cartridge door and it does not move.  

I tried to turn it off and it said it will possibly damage the printer.  Help.

The error message is "the print carriage cannot move".

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

I would start by checking the pathways of the carriage to make sure that there are no obstructions in the way.  I would then check to make sure that there are no paper jams in the machine. I know that this document does not contain the same error message in the title that you are getting on your machine, but I would still follow the steps provided to see the way that one can check the machine for obstructions, I would then try to gently manually move the print carriage from one side to the other as shown in step 5 of the document. 

If you complete the steps listed and still find that you are getting the error message, I would then do a hard reset to the printer. A hard reset will attempt to restore the printer to a known working condition without clearing any of the user settings. It is also a method that one can use to clear error messages from the device. 

I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
HP Recommended

My hp 6700's ink cartridges are stuck on the right side. I cannot get a grip on them to make them move. All suggestions have been tried and failed.

Moninklankle

HP Recommended

Hi moninklankle

I understand the cartridges are stuck on the right side of the printer.

Did you follow the steps previously posted for the Carriage Jam Message?

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03079130

Make sure the printer is connected directly to a wall outlet, don't use a power hub or a
surge protector.

I would then try to gently manually move the print carriage from one side to the other.

You can try to  lift up and slide it to the center.
If the carriage is at the right side, it is docked in its station.

If these steps don't resolve the issue I would recommend to call HP Tech Support for further
assistance to see what other options are available for you.
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I have a HP officejet 6700 premium, it gives an error message " The print carriage cannot move. Open the ink cartridge access door, clear any paper jam or obstruction."  

Also some times it says that the print head is missing.

I have replaced the print head with the a new one and the same message abot the carriage cannot move shows up.

Please help.

thanks 

Jag

HP Recommended

Hey, 

This is a last resort not the first one. Follow all the suggested steps HP gives for troubleshooting:

I found that the printhead cleaner, which sits under the cartridge on the right side of the printer is not engaging for whatever reason. I was able to return it to its place by first removing the scanner and left side panel, then move the gears clockwise. This set the cleaner where it should be and freed the cartidge to move. As the I.T. guy I work on many printers for my company to put back in the field, this particular one had other hardware issues other than the printhead being stuck; however the my solution worked for that particular problem. I suspect it would only be a matter of time before the printhead cleaner would become stuck again. Truly unfortunate that you spent the money on a new printhead, hope this helps.

David

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.