Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

We are currently utilizing a HP Officejet 8600 Pro printer and in the past, we've had good results. However, as of yesterday, when we copy a document using the scanning bed or the feed tray on top, the document prints too lightly. It looks almost as if the ink is running low, but when we print directly to the printer, the prints come out fine and are of appropriate contrast for a black and white copy. We've tried adjusting the settings, but this happens regardless of whether the contrast is normal or higher/lower, and have tried cleaning off the scan bed and the scanner for the feed tray. Nothing seems to be working. Does anyone know why the printer would print correctly when you print directly from a computer, but offer such poor results when trying to scan/copy a document? Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi CK897,

I understand that you're having a scan quality issue.  I would try the steps below.  

Let me know how it goes.

1. Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the product.
  2. With the product turned on , disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.
  3. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  4. Wait at least 15 seconds.
  5. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  6. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.
  7. If the product does not turn on by itself, press the Power button ( ) to turn it on.
  8. Try to copy or scan again.

**If you find this helpful or want to say thanks make sure to click the white star under my name to give me Kudos. **

HP Recommended

We have started having the same issues all of a sudden.  I have tried unplugging as you suggested, but it did not work.  I noticed when I scan, the scan is like the original while it is scanning, but dramatically lightens when it finishes.  It drastically lightens whatever we are copying as well.

HP Recommended

I was having the same issue.  ONLY when scanning using the feeder would the scans come out too light, could hardly read them.  This also happened when making copies using the feeder.  i called HP and THEY WERE HELPFUL.  They claim that having it plugged into a surge protector can cause issues with the power supply.  I unplugged from the protector and went directly to the wall outlet.  Problem solved.  They also say there is a surge protector built into the maching so no need to plug into one.

Seems a little weird to me but I don't care. It works now.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help! This was driving me crazy and your fix worked.

HP Recommended

Read your post and within 90 seconds my issue was solved.  Thanks.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.