cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
D Hook
Level 7
911 750 38 97
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Having a GREAT time with a black printhead on a 1055CM!

HP Recommended

Just got this machine in.  Needed a new belt and a good cleaning.  Before I inserted the new printheads, I did a purge with some setup heads to be sure there's no air in the lines.  (BTW, you CAN re-use setup heads, if they're as dried out as mine were.)

So after doing that, I put in four new printheads (expired of course).  They all worked except the black.  It keeps asking to be reseated.

The old black printhead still works but is streaky so comes up on the screen as "Monitor" or "Replace".  I've tried cleaning it of course and it still doesn't print very well.

So I've been trying to get the new black printhead to seat.  Tried all the cleaning tips, inside the carriage on the contacts, used the official HP cleaning tool and pads that come with it, cleaned the back of the printhead.  I cleaned the carriage contacts several times, not just once or twice.  So I started looking at the new printhead, trying to figure out which contacts aren't making contact, making it asked to be reseated all the time.  So I started doing some experimenting.

First, I put the old printhead back in because at least I knew it would seat properly and bring the printer to a ready state.  Then I shut it off from the front panel, started it up while holding the "Color" button and releasing the "Color" button when the Initializing screen came up.  That put it into the Service Menus.

I did all the tests and it passed all, especially the EMOD test.  So I assume the carriage is okay, the trailing cable is connected correctly, the drop detector is working, the APS is okay and all the other tests listed on that menu.

Then I took out the old black printhead and put in the new one that won't seat correctly.  Of course, the printer won't do anything until you get the printhead to seat so I shut it off from the front panel while the carriage was in the Access position and then, holding the "Color" button down, I powered it back up from the front panel to get back to the Service Menu screen.  I went through the electronics test and this time, with the non-seatable black printhead in place, got three messages saying the printhead, trailing cable and EMOD are all suspect.  In other words, it wouldn't pass the electronics test with the new (unseatable) printhead in.

I shut it down and replaced the new printhead with the old one, powered up into the Service Menu again and all the systems passed just fine.

So I took the old yellow printhead and modified it to fit into the black printhead slot, just to see if it would read.  It came up "Faulty".  Okay.  At least it read the printhead and knew it wasn't the correct printhead. 

So then I took one setup head and put it in the black printhead slot.  The screen showed "Setup" in that slot so I think the contacts on the carriage are working.

Then I took a utility knife and gently pried off the little square off the back of the yellow printhead, the one that has a little black raised nub on it, which I assume is the "smart" part of the smart chip.  After prying off the same little square off the new black printhead, I put the yellow one in its' place.  (They're just held on with double stick tape.)  I put the new black printhead into the slot and it read "faulty", just as the yellow printhead did when inserted into the black slot.

Then I repeated the process using the smart chip from the setup head on the new black printhead and got the "setup" message again.  Okay, the carriage is reading whatever chip I put on the black printhead.  And, I'm guessing, reading correctly.

So I figure, at this point I've got little to lose.  So I peeled the smart chip off the old black printhead and placed it on the new black printhead.  Put it into the slot and got (you guessed it) another RESEAT error message!  Drat!

I reversed the process, put the old chip on the old printhead and put it in and it seated just fine.  But it won't seat when on the new cartridge.

So (whew) what I'm trying to figure out is this:  What is inside the new printhead that prevents it from being seated?  I dont' think the smart chip is the problem.   Is there another connection on the back of the printhead that verifies the seated position?

Yes, I know, I need to buy another black printhead and try it and hope for the best, right?  And this time, I'm buying directly from HP so I can get one that has a warranty because if I put a $188 printhead into this sucker and get another "RESEAT" message, it's goin' back for another 'till I get one that works.

Anyone know where the next connection failure in the printhead might be?  Just curious more than anything.  I really thought I had it beat by switching the chips but not so much.

Also, would the encoder strip be causing the RESEAT error?  Can't imagine it would but I guess I'll clean that again next, just in case.

Thanks for reading.

Oh, BTW, the old black printhead had info on it.  Over 9000h and manufactured in 2005.  Don't remember how much ink went through it over that time. 

3 REPLIES 3
davidzuts
Level 13
7,130 6,101 558 941
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended
The chip only tells the plotter what you are inserting and nothing else. There are many other contacts which are electrical in nature and if the carriage assembly which sends the signals to the emod does not get a good reading from any of those contacts, that is when you get the reseat message. Your issue is a bad black printhead. Black seems to be the printhead on this plotter that causes the most problems and I have had many a new black printhead that I had to return to hp for replacement with your same problem.
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
D Hook
Author
Level 7
911 750 38 97
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the input David.  I ordered a new printhead directly today off this HPwebsite.  Free 2 day delivery.  Stiff price but the warranty will be worth it, I think.

Printed out a demo print and a cad drawing and other than the black being a bit streaky, it works very well.  I was impressed with the number of hours on the old printhead (over 9000) so I'm hoping to get as good with the new one.  We'll see.

Thanks again.

D Hook
Author
Level 7
911 750 38 97
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Got the new printhead directly from HP, plugged it in and it seated just fine.  I wonder if the fact that the defective printhead was manufactured about 6-7 years ago and this one was manufactured in '12 (install by date of August of 2014) has much to do with it.  Like maybe they had a bad run of printheads?

Maybe I'll have to be more selective of the printhead dates when buying off ebay.

Good thing is it works now.  I'll use this in my office for a few weeks to be sure it's working the way it should and then put it up for sale.

Thanks for the help.

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation