Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

By any chance have your changed the printer/port settings on your laptop as suggested in ed's email. Worked for me - and I'm not tired anymore!

HP Recommended

I suggest that you do the following -

Assign a static IP to the printer. This can be done via the led screen on the printer or you can use an internet browser to browse to the dhcp ip address assigned to the printer. On the embedded setup page you can change from an ip address assigned by dhcp to a static ip where you can select the values.

Make sure the the IP address, subnet mask, and dns servers are within the range being handed out by the jetpack.

Hopefully, the static ip will resolve the problem.

Ed

{Private Information Removed}

HP Recommended
I don't have to turn my printer off. I just go to the printer, click on the Radio button, then on Settings. Click on Wireless. Click the Off button. Click the Wireless button again. Now click ON. That always wakes my printer up.
As far as connecting from my iphone, sometimes it works like a charm and other times NOTHING. Truly maddening. And yes, with the exception of buying a new router, I've done everything suggested. Static ip or no static ip, makes no difference. The darned thing wakes up when it feels like it. I wonder if their server is either overwhelmed or down half the time.
HP Recommended

Static IP is only one part of the solution. By assigning the printer's MAC address on the router, the router seems to remember what network device to contact at the appropriate time. Please refer to Message 110 in this topic http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Networking-and-Wireless/How-do-I-enable-keep-alive-on-HP-Office...

The router, such as a Netgear N600 or others mentioned in this topic, need to have the ability to assign MAC addresses.

Good Luck -

Ed Kivell

http://tinyurl.com/resourcesystems

HP Recommended
It works or doesnt work whether it has a static IP address or not. I tried it both ways. It all of a sudden works flawlessly and then it doesn't work. It,s sporadic either way. I also assigned the MAC address as suggested. I would believe the suggestions offered if it never worked, but some days it works great with no changes in setup.
HP Recommended

1.  My HP 8600 pro goes "offline" too many times.  The "print status" seeks the printer and returns "printer offline".  I am looking for an easy answer like a dropdown options to put printer "online" after being "offline".....that would be so easy rather than spending an hour looking with no printed results.

2. In using the Internet Explorer as my browser, I wish to print anything when on line.  My windows 7 will bring up the print screen giving an indication that all is well. I hit "print" and there is no response from the HP 8600 pro. The icon for printer is not activated either.

HP Recommended

Try This -

1.  If possible, connect printer by wired ethernet, rather than wireless. This will provide a more reliable connection to the network.

2.  Give the printer a static ip address. This can be done via the printer's led control panel or by the embedded web administration page which is reached by the printer's assisgned ip address.

3. On the router. make sure that the printer's static ip address is not within the ip range potenially assigned by the router's dhcp manager. For example, if the printer has a static ip of 192.168.1.5, then configure the router so that the dhcp server begins to assign ip addresses at 192.168.1.6 and above. The default configuration for a Linksys router typically assigns ip addresses starting at 192.168.1.100, so the printer can be assigned to an address from 192.168.1.2 to 198.168.1.99. By having an ip range reserved for the printer will prevent the possibility of an ip duplication conflict.

4. Again, on the router, assign the MAC address for the printer to the static ip address assigned to the printer.

5. On the computer, go to printers folder (Windows XP - Printers & Faxes  Windows 7 - Devices and Printers). Right-click printer. Left-click properties. Create a new TCP/IP port with the static IP assigned to the printer. Do not use the HP re-discovery port created by printer driver installation.

This will also work for a Mac computer. Assign the statis IP on the printer side. Assign the printer's mac address on the router. The Mac computer will find the printer via the Bonjour protocol. The static IP will keep the printer at the same address regardless of reboots, blackouts, etc.

I had a client with this problem. They have a mixed network of PCs & Macs. After I configure the router and printer with a static ip, everything worked.

The key points are to provide a static ip for the printer and to reserve the printer's MAC  (Media Access Control) address within the router's MAC Address table. You may have to swap out your router for one that allows the MAC address to be reserved.

Ed Kivell

Resource Systems

HP Recommended

I agree totally with you! I expect better from HP, have been a loyal customer for over 20 years and this is how I get treated? Along with all the others with the same problem, including those who probably just figured it was their machine and never took it any further! I'm seriuosly thing my next printer will NOT be an HP!

HP Recommended

Me, too!

HP Recommended

I definitely will NOT be buying another HP product.   Ever.     It is pretty sad that they don't even acknowledge there is a problem with their product.    I will give my money to someone else who may care a little more about their customers.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.