Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hey fantasya,

I see you are looking for information about how to perform a legal scan with your Officejet Pro 8600.  Do you have the full feature software installed for this printer on your PC?

What is the Operating System of the computer you are using with the printer?

Do you have an icon on your desktop that looks like the 8600?  This is the HP Printer Assistant software for your 8600.  If you open this software, then under the Scanning section you should see an option for Scanning a Document or Photo.  This will open the HP Scan window.  Look at the settings on the right to change the input option to the Automatic Document Feeder.  This will provide the option for Legal scanning in the list of options on the right.

Does this help address your scanning issue?

Jason

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hi Jason

My OS is windows 7 - and yes, I do have an icon that looks like the printer, but the choices I have are the following :

- HP printer assistant

- See what's printing

- Set preferences

- Customize your printer

Nothing about scanning. 

I wasn't certain if I had installed the software so I did so now, and yes, when I go into my programs, click on HP (my computer is also a HP), then click on the Officejet Pro printer icon, I then see among others the scan icon with a menu where I can set the size of input to legal.  I tried it and it works but do I have to go through all those steps everytime I have a legal-sized document to scan?

Thank you for your help.

Fantasya

HP Recommended

If you have the HP Scan icon in the Programs Folder, then you can right click it and add it as a Desktop icon.  This will be the easiest and most efficient manner for legal scans as it allows you to have control of the Scan software immediately.  This is the method I normally advise.

I am glad that you were able to get it going through the HP Scan software for your printer, 

Jason

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

That'll work just fine.  Thank you for your help, Jason. 

Fantasya

HP Recommended

Glad to be of assistance, Fantasya! :generic:

I wish you the best in all your future printing and scanning needs.  Have a wonderful day and rest of your week!

Happy Printing,

Jason

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

We need to have both letter and legal size in a single scan, how do we do that?

HP Recommended

Hey fountainguy,

You will have to do the 2 parts of the scanning separately: letter and legal.  Once you have the portions separately scanned, then you can use a 3rd party program such as PDF Split and Merge to combine the 2 PDF scans into a single saved file.  Click below to access PDF SAM.

http://www.pdfsam.org/download/

Hope this helps,

Jason

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Resizing docs is not very intuitive.  Steps:  Go to Copy-Settings-Use down arrow on right and go to Resize-Use right arrow on right side and until you get to Customer Size.  Press custom size and use up or down arrow to resize your document.   That was easy huh??  There is no info in the manual, so it's a real trial and error.

HP Recommended

when I have a legal size page in my computer and wish to copy it to my hp 8600 and print out the page reduced to letter size, it just cuts off the last three inches and will not print the whole page reduced to letter size.

HP Recommended

I am so happy to have your resolution!  Thank you!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.