Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Maybe this screen I found will help!  I think it explains everything.  It is in the HP Smart app. Take notice of the very last line.

smart app hp pic.JPG

HP Recommended

I have wasted hours with this brand new printer! AGAIN. Still can't print today.  I use win10, trying to simply print labels from MS Publisher.  It's something I've been able to do for 15 years and yet now here I am in 2019 with a completely ridiculous HP Printer. They even sent me out a new one and I still have constant trouble.  It's just the way it is.  We can no longer have reliable printers due to all the overcomplicated crap software 'solutions' they come up with and constant security updates that break our friggin lives. The solutions on here are usesless, it keeps happening.  A simple usb connection that constantly breaks. I have no idea how to fix, sometimes it fixes itself.  So annoying.

HP Recommended

@ausworkshop

Welcome to HP support community.

Provide the printer model number or the product number for further assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It's an OfficeJet 3830, it's working again today, at least I think so, I will find out when I try to print an address label while packing, it's usually when I'm in a rush to get to the post office that it fails. Then I have to spend an hour rebooting, removing cables and running useless diagnosis things, reinstalling HP smart or whatever loop of fixes it tells me to try - I end up going around in circles to get it working again.

Last time it happened because I clicked print on a document in MS Publisher when the printer was offline. (this is not an unusual thing to do when in a hurry)

By the time I realised and turned the printer on it was too late.

This obviously confuses the printer or Win 10 or something and there's no easy fix.

This must waste hours each day in offices worldwide, I'm sure I'm not the only one to do this and it never used to cause so much trouble with printers I've owned in the past.

When I removed the cable at the back of the printer (hard to get to in my setup) I accidentally put the usb connection back in the ethernet (they are right beside each other), this took me a while to notice as the pc or printer is no help at all until I go in and look at settings to find out why it's offline and recheck my connections.

In my opinion, we shouldn't have to waste so much time on getting Win10 and HP to communicate consistently instead of having a fit every few weeks during normal use and requiring the user to go through all these dead ends to get it working again. I shouldn't have to remove cables all the time and reboot or keep an eye on the HP website to see if there is an update available. Next you'll tell me I should use wifi instead, well I tried that as well for a while but because it's low signal in my packing shed it's even more unreliable than the USB connection. I like to keep things as simple as possible. This machine drives me crazy enough just with the basic stuff MS - HP let alone trying to get it to print through the cloud or using Android. from my phone.

HP Recommended

@ausworkshop,

I am glad to know that the issue is resolved.

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I read a response from an hp employee regarding this problem.

he advised changing the ip address and the first step involved

PRINTING a network configiration page from the printer control panel.

How can we print that if the printer is offline, which it is most of the time.??????

HP Recommended

@TRIXY1

Welcome to HP support community.

Provide the printer model number or the product number?

Which operating system is installed on the computer to which this printer is connected?

How is the printer connected, USB or Wireless?

Reply with the requested information for more assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

You might be able to print the config sheet directly from the printer even if the pc can't see it and says offline, it is confusing I agree. I've been using these printers for over 20 years and it's more confusing than ever.  Never wasted so much time on all this in the past. Hopefully, they will get their act together one day, it's obviously not just user error, these things should be easier to hook up and STAY working.

HP Recommended

I have 8020 printer that is constantly going offline and is a huge hassle I can't stand it. I want to get rid of this lemon. Could you please contact me via email and let me know where I can get a refund on this piece of ?

HP Recommended

My Printer keeps going offline and it is really annoying. Why is this so difficult HP? Why would you configure a printer to go to sleep after a certain amount of time, causing my printer to not work. I have to constantly cycle power on it.  It's not worth the money.  HP LaserJet MFP M227fdw

Software version  044.001.2550.17198

Printer Driver version  8.0.1329.6503

Even when I try to update the firmware, it always fails.  I think I am going to take it back and get my money back.

Thanks!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.