Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Unable to email my scan from HP 4650.   Program indicates "no email application found on computer", although I have Mozilla Thunderbird.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@NielP

Your installed mail program / client must have the appropriate Default set (MAILTO protocol).

Double check the following:

Set Default Programs

• Control Panel > icon view > Default Programs > Set your Default Programs >
  • Scroll down, Select Thunderbird program in the left column >
  • Choose Defaults for this program > Select (at least) MAILTO / Send mail > Save

OR Assign MAILTO protocol (Alternate method)

• Control Panel > icon view > Default Programs > Associate a file type or protocol with a program >
  • Wait for the menu selections to fill in (a few seconds) >
  • Select (highlight) a file type at random (click somewhere inside the menu window) >
  • Type (the letter) m > Menu scrolls to the MAILTO protocol (item is highlighted)
  • Change program > Select Thunderbird from the list > Close

Reference

Dragon Document - Help, suggestions, video links, and examples:

Install Full Feature Software - Printer

Section: Scan to Email

Click the Thumbs Up to say Thanks!

Answered? Click my post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

For Dragon Fur

Thunderbird was designated as the default for MAIL-TO.  I switched to Microsoft MAIL and still no luck. Then switched back. Tried same on another Windows 10 computer I have and get the same message "Unable to find email program on computer".  End result - have two HP computers with Windows 10 unable to scan & email the scan from the HP 4650,  No problem scanning and saving to Documents.

HP Recommended

@NielP

• If you have not done so, assign the printer a Static IP address and static DNS setup.

HP_8630_EWS_Network_Static_IP_1.jpg

• If you have not done so, disable "two-step" security on the email address you are using.  If you dislike doing this, set up another "less sensitive" email address to use with Scan-to-Email.

• If you have not done so, check online for the precise smtp settings needed for you POP mail client.

• If you have not done so, add / edit and then test the Scan-to-Email Profile as set up in the Wizard.

Printer Assistant (shortcut on the Desktop) > tab Print, Scan, and Fax >
Scan to Email Wizard > If using, enter your printer’s Access password >
Outgoing Email Profiles > Add, Edit, or Delete Email address profile(s) >

Click on the Profile (to highlight) and select Test

• If you have not done so, try another Scan program to accomplish the task.  Without the basic email setup working, this is likely not going to help; try or not as desired.

Dragon Document - Help, suggestions, and examples:

Scanning Program Options

Document Sections Include:

HP Extended Scan  – Standalone scan program:  Single, Multiple scans, Auto-Crop!

NAPS2  -- Not another PDF Scanner

And others…

There are additional suggestions, video help, and resources in the Dragon document link in my first post.

Click the Thumbs Up to say Thanks!

Answered? Click my post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.