Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

wowwww..thamks, your post worked for me perfectly, i simply returned the carriage from far right to left..and :manvery-happy:....it worked....kudos ma men:smileyhappy:

HP Recommended

how did you get the printer apart? I took out the deck screws on top. But the thing still appears to be held together somehow, only right side of scanner top seems to move, like it might come apart.

HP Recommended

To open the printer glass top, you need to have a screw drive tip H2.0. There are 4 screws on top, 2 in the back and 1 black one behind the cartrdige door. Once you have unscrewed all screws, you don't need to open the top glass completely. Just lift it up from the back enough to move the scanner bar to the left.

I'm really annoyed by this problem. Hope this post may help others having the same stupid error msg.

HP Recommended

HP Recommended
I've also come across this problem with my HP Office jet 4500 failure to scan, copy, or print. I took the advice of Taylorn72, but instead of breaking my scanner glass I took the screws out and opened the top of the scanner. Picked the scanner bar up that runs on a track and replaced it on the track all the way to the right. Put the screws back in and it has been working fine ever since. To bad I found this advice after I purchased a new printer. Now boxing it back up and return it to Best Buy. I talked to an HP tech and also GeekSquad personnel, both suggested buying a new printer. They said that the printer couldn't be fixed. Maybe I need their job.
HP Recommended

Your post was a great help....thank you!  By following your steps,  I was able to clear the error as well.  I only wish that I learned about this fix a couple of years ago....that's when I took an identical printer to recycling as I was not able to clear the error through the various power down/up steps. 

For clarification, it should probably be noted that the home position to which the scanner element should be moved, is the end closest to the control panel (left side when viewing printer from the front).

Thanks again and many kudos!

HP Recommended

It didn't worked for my printer.

We moved the scanner bar from right to left then put the screws back in and it didn't work.

Please help. Cant copy scan and fax.

HP Recommended

well, my HP officejet had a scanner failure i discovered that when powering it on, the light of the scanner was not turning on and it had jammed on the far right, i opened it and put the screws back it is fantastcally working by now!:-)

HP Recommended

@kmadhara wrote:

i managed to solve that same problem on my officejet 4500, on mine the scanner had jammed to the right so whenever i power the printer on the scanner was not moving.  i decided to open the printer, moved the scanner to the far left, put the screws back, powered it on and its working perfectly now:smileyhappy:

Genius:Smileyhappy:

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.