Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I'm seeing several instances where printers are shooting out blank sheets of paper after trying to print a document. 

Now, typically this mean either the USB cord is bad or the ink cartridges are empty/bad. 

Step 1: 

I would suggest checking the ink levels in the printer, because usually when you're out of ink this causes the printer to not print at all or eject blank pages when trying to print anything from the desk to/notebook.

You can check the ink levels by:

1. Clicking the Windows icon ( ).
  2. Click Devices and printers .
  3. Right-click the icon for the printer ( ), and then click Printing Preferences .
  4. Click the Features tab.
  5. Click the Printer Services button. The Toolbox window opens.
  6. Click the Estimated Ink Levels tab. A window opens that indicates the estimated ink level of each cartridge.
    NOTE:Depending on the printer, the estimated ink level indicators might vary in appearance.
    Examples of estimated ink level indicators
    Example of an Estimated Ink Levels indicator.Example of an Estimated Ink Levels indicator.
  7. If the ink level indicators show that a cartridge is empty, replace the cartridge.
  8. Try printing again.

Now, if this doesn't resolve the issue, I would suggest replacing the USB cord with a new one. I would make sure the printer cord is 6ft or below. This will shorten the cord giving the desktop and printer a shorter way to communicate, meaning you shouldn't have any issue printing or scanning. 

You can also follow this document, which will guide you through a couple of steps on how to resolve this issue.

Remember if you find any of my post helpful or want to say thanks make sure to click the white star under my name to give me Kudos.

I really appreciate it!

Let me know if you have any questions. 

Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I hope this is helpful!

Thanks!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I hope this is helpful!

Thanks!

HP Recommended

the question is BLACK sheets of paper not Blank!!!!!!

HP Recommended

HA great catch mrbright46

Sorry for the confusion.

HP Recommended

now answer my question **bleep** it! my printer only gives me an 8x10 black square everytime I try to print a picture? WHY? I have loaded drivers, try new cable and still black sheet when I try to print any picture, any format.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.