Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have the same problem with my HP Photosmart C4480.

Having read the above I have come to the conclusion that there is no solution and one should DEFINITELY AVOID BUYING HP PRINTERS.

HP Recommended
Hy. I have found a different solution for c4480 "incopatible cartrige". it worked for me so i hope it works for you to Steps: 1. Press X power at the same time 2. Press BLUE, GREEN, GRAY 3. press BLUE until you see "INFORMATION MENU" 4. press OK 5. Press Blue until you see "CHECKSUM FOR RELOCK DATA INPUT" 6. OK 7. Press X until you exit all menius 8. When promted for aliement cancel it with X. It should bypass the error
HP Recommended

This worked for me.  I have a C4480 purchased in Italy and I had bought some cartridges in the States

where they are much cheaper, but they wouldn't work.  I was ready to throw the printer out of the window.

The idiot where I bought them said they would be 'compatible - no problem'  !!

Only slight downside is that you can no longer get the proper messages about estimated ink levels.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@paula14 wrote:

This worked for me.  I have a C4480 purchased in Italy and I had bought some cartridges in the States

where they are much cheaper, but they wouldn't work.  I was ready to throw the printer out of the window.

The idiot where I bought them said they would be 'compatible - no problem'  !!

Only slight downside is that you can no longer get the proper messages about estimated ink levels.

Thanks.

Hi paula14, glad to hear the tip from kirstymi solved the problem for you. Are you able to get the estimated ink levels when you go through the Toolbox? See link below

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01004653

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

You are an absolute genius! After spending nearly an hour following advice from HP employees about taking out cartridges, cleaning them, putting them back etc and wasting two perfectly good (and ridiculously expensive) cartridges I found your message. Pressed a few buttons, took about a minute and printer is back working. Thanks so much. I'm glad someone had a sensible solution!! 

Thank you

HP Recommended

Hi abbiea01

Glad to hear it's back working!

🙂

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

:LaughingTears:  THANK YOU YOUR POST SAVED MY PRINTER FROM BEING THROWN OUT THE WINDOW.  YOUR SOLUTION WORKED A TREAT 

HP Recommended

Thank you for helping me to get closer to a resolution...  Unfortunately, I'm having problems with Step #3. - I can see that the menu choices change when I press the BLUE button but I'm not seeing a menu choice labeled "INFORMATION MENU".  WHAT I do see is the following menu choices of:  "Underware : rhLx..", "boot code menu", "copy menu", "photo menu", "scan menu", "scan udw menu", "system menu", "ui menu" - but sadly no "INFORMATION MENU".

Any additional assistance will be greatly appreciated..

Thanking you in advance,

Dan

HP Recommended

I followed the instructions but could never get "information menu" - it was not one of the choices.  Is there another way to take care of this error message.

Thanks -

CG

HP Recommended

You have used the wrong sequence of colour buttons.  This is what you'll get if you use BLUE GREY GREEN instead of BLUE GREEN GREY.

While this is an ingenious fix, I have found that it needs to be used repetitively.

Hope this helps.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.