cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Skypilot
Author
Level 1
9 8 0 0
Message 11 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK, so label me dumb. I reconnected the trailing cable to the carriage assembly and the electronics panel, etc. and began the startup test.

I haven't done anything with this model before, so in reconnecting the trailing cable, I damaged one end of a connector (they're fragile). Yes, now I know. The damage can't be repaired (they are REALLY fragile).

So, I've ordered a new trailing connector - and we'll have to wait a bit to see what the start up test tells me.

Thanks for your patience. I'll be back.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
davidzuts
Level 13
7,130 6,099 558 941
Message 12 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I hope you did not start up the plotter with the damaged cable. If you did you may have blown the emod. You have to be very careful when installing the new trailing cable at both ends. If the cable is not installed correctly you can blow the emod and they are expensive and hard to come by. The hardest part in installing the cable is at the emod location since most emods have a big bracket that each cable goes into and sometimes when they are inserted they do not fully seat. I usually recommend removing those brackets so you are only left with the little black connector for each cable since it is easy to tell if the connection is fully seated and not at an angle. Many years ago I blew an emod and ever since I always remove those brackets. If you are lucky then you will see a small glass fuse at the top above the trailing cable. Some later model non plus models came with the fuse rather then a square testing point which is 10A and if you have the fuse then that will blow if the cable is not seated correctly and that fuse is replaceable which makes life a lot easier.
Skypilot
Author
Level 1
9 8 0 0
Message 13 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

New drive belt and trailer cable arrived today. Installed both.

The trailing cable is a royal pain to thread and fold properly - as if I don't need to tell you that.

All that being said, I continue to get a trailing cable error on the self test.

I pulled both ends of the trailing cable and reseated them - taking extra care. Same error.

Suggestions?

davidzuts
Level 13
7,130 6,099 558 941
Message 14 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended
As I said if the printer was powered on with the cable not sitting right or damaged, then odds are the main board has been blown. There are a number of surface fuses on the board that blow and the only way to repair to to solder new fuses. If the board had the little fuse I told you about in my previous post above the trailing cable connectors, then you just need to replace that one fuse which is a snap in type.
Skypilot
Author
Level 1
9 8 0 0
Message 15 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Main board is the older type with the the non-replacable fuse. I have one more thing to try, then we'll see.

As I do the self test, it starts OK, begins to cycle, then I give a quick "close right door" followed by the trailing cable error code.

So - what's a new or replacement board cost?

davidzuts
Level 13
7,130 6,099 558 941
Message 16 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Big bucks. Do a search on this site as there was a person named Ralph McGranahan <rmbservices@sbcglobal.net> He repairs the boards. You could also try a google search of his name and hp designjet and CAL which is where he is located.
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation