Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an hp officejet 8600 n911a which is connected to my wireless internet. I have run wireless network test results and printer status reports which both show connected. when you touch the internet icon it shows connected also with an ip address. However it will not connect to my computer, ipod, ipad, or any other device to print. The product software will not even ping the device to connect to the printer. It is like it will accept an incoming connection from my router but not send out a connection signal or recieve a signal to print on the same wireless connection. I have verified that it is set up on the same internet connection but the device is not recognized and when I type in the ip address in the address bar of chrome or explorer it says page cannot be opened. However I can email wirelessly to my printer to eprint by using the email given to me by my printer. I am very confused. Any help would be great.

Melody

36 REPLIES 36
HP Recommended

http://www.hp.com/go/wirelessprintingwww.hp.com/go/wirelessprintingHi,

Is your printer on the same network as your computer devices?

Have you tried opening the EWS (Embedded Web Server) on the printer by typeing its IP address into a web browser?

Sounds like the printer is on a different wireless network from your other computers, have you tried a wireless report to see if there are alot of networks around you called the same name?

Take a look at the wireless printing site  www.hp.com/go/wirelessprinting

JonW

I work for HP
HP Recommended

Is your printer on the same network as your computer devices?

(Yes I have verified this with a printer status report and a wireless printer test results report both printed directly fromt the hp officejet pro 8600. Both stated that the computer was connected to my home network millwardhome)

Have you tried opening the EWS (Embedded Web Server) on the printer by typeing its IP address into a web browser?

(Yes I get an error message stating page cannot be opened. This is where part of my confusion comes from since all reports including the ones from the printer say I am connected to my home network and I can eprint wirelessly using the email address to the printer)

Sounds like the printer is on a different wireless network from your other computers, have you tried a wireless report to see if there are alot of networks around you called the same name?

(Yes I have printed this report and it states I am connected to the correct network and no other networks have this name)

Take a look at the wireless printing site  www.hp.com/go/wirelessprinting

(I have spent several hours on this site to no avail. I have also tried the print doctor app thing and it tells me it can find no solutions)

Thanks for your response!

Melody

HP Recommended

Are you able to connect the printer via an ethernet cable?

JonW

I work for HP
HP Recommended

Yes it will print when connected with a cable.

HP Recommended

What router are you using?

Does the router support 2Ghz and 5Ghz wireless?

The printer only supports 2Ghz wireless.

I hope this helps

JonW

I work for HP
HP Recommended
Hi. I am using a linksys smart N750. Yes it does both. The printer has actually been hooked up to this wireless router and computer for months. It just stopped working. I am trying to reconnect it. I have even tried removing and redownloading the software.
Thanks,
Melody
HP Recommended

With the network does the 5Ghz wirless have a different name to the 2Ghz network?

If they have the same network name then you should change the ssids to be different so then you can tell which networks its on.

From what you have told me it sounds like a 5Ghz 2 Ghz mismatch

JonW

I work for HP
HP Recommended
I have not changed anything on my set up and it has worked for months until now. They actually do have different names as I use one for my kids computers and one for mine. Their computers are set up on a different style security key.
HP Recommended

Multiple SSIDs are great but the question I asked was do the 2Ghz and 5 Ghz networks have different name?

If they dont I would recommend adding %Ghz to the name of the 5Ghz network

JonW

I work for HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.