Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP photosmart D110

when i turn it on it starts and gets as far as Now printing alighment page and that's it... there's a red X in the right upper corner.  I can not get the printer to print a document.  It's the default printer.  I am operating wireless and recently had to reset my router... could this be some of the problem?  this is very frustrating; any help you can give is appreciated.

the wireless blue light is flashing as is the on / off button.

Regards,

Marvin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
That's strange. It sounds like something in the alignment process is causing the printer to enter a permanent error state. This will sound strange, but I think it will work. Let the printer enter the error state. Then, instead of turning the printer off by the power button, pull the power cord from the back of the printer. Remove the power cord from the wall outlet as well to reset the power module (that's the black brick in the power cord). Open the printer and slide the ink carriage to the area that will allow you to remove the ink cartridges, and remove the ink cartridges. Close the printer, plug the printer back in, and turn it back on. When it asks for the ink cartridges to be inserted, go ahead and put them in. Let me know what happens.
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended
If you touch the red X, will it stop trying to print the alignment page?

If you do a hard reset, will it get past the message?

To do a hard reset:
1. Make sure the printer is on.
2. Pull the power cord from the printer.
3. Pull the power cord from the wall.
4. Wait 30 seconds.
5. Plug the printer in and turn it on.
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

I have a Photosmart D110a and I seem to be having the same problem as huckmj. Pressing the red "X" doesn't do anything (the printer doesn't respond to that), and neither did the "hard reset". For the hard reset, I unplugged the power cord from the printer while it was still on, then from the wall. I waited 30 seconds then plugged the cord back into the printer.

When the printer is on, the screen shows the option to "Show Demo to play the animation" or to "Press OK to continue". I press OK to continue to then be notified, under the title "Alignment Recommended", that it is "highly recommended to calibrate the Cartridges for best print quality". I press OK to continue. Now there is a loading bar with the dreaded text that reads "Now printing alignment page" and seems to go on forever without anything actually happening.

I hope there is some solution out there that will put an end to the never ending loading bar.

Thank you,

Roscoe

HP Recommended
When it tells you the alignment is recommended, do you have any other options other than OK?
Signature
HP Recommended

Hello Shane,

Thank you for your very quick response. There are not a whole lot of options up til the "now printing alignment page" screen. There is the option to watch the animation or to press OK, and the option to print the alignment page by touching OK. When the "now printing..." screen shows up, there is the red X, but the printer does not respond when it is pressed (the "now printing..." screen stays up). From here, it seems, the only way to escape this screen is to turn the printer off. The power button is, of course, still an option throughout all of these screens.

Thank you for your time

Roscoe

HP Recommended
That's strange. It sounds like something in the alignment process is causing the printer to enter a permanent error state. This will sound strange, but I think it will work. Let the printer enter the error state. Then, instead of turning the printer off by the power button, pull the power cord from the back of the printer. Remove the power cord from the wall outlet as well to reset the power module (that's the black brick in the power cord). Open the printer and slide the ink carriage to the area that will allow you to remove the ink cartridges, and remove the ink cartridges. Close the printer, plug the printer back in, and turn it back on. When it asks for the ink cartridges to be inserted, go ahead and put them in. Let me know what happens.
Signature
HP Recommended

Shane,

You did it my friend. You are an expert on obsolete printers! This last set of instructions you gave me led to a successfully functioning machine.

Thank you!

HP Recommended

Have tried this and two other recommended solutions but NONE work.

Other two - one a variation of this one in pulling power cord. The other had a long series of procedures ending with going to the Windows 7 All Programs and clicking on HP > HP solutions .....does not exist on my HP Pavilion dv6 notebook. Program was to manually align print cartridges but could not do that so still have problem.

HP Recommended

If the printer will not finish the alignment page, I have seen this happen when one of the ink cartridges are low.  Can you print a printer status report to look at the ink levels or can you print anything at this point?  It may be that you are actually having a problem with your ink cartridges.  

I know this document does not cover your exact problem but I do not know if your printer will not stop trying to print the alignment page or if you are just unable to finish the alignment process.  In the meantime, this document may help you while I await your clarification.

--'At least one of the cartridges has a problem', 'Non-HP Cartridges installed', 'Incompatible cartrid...--

The troubleshooting steps I want you to take are similar to what is mentioned in this document.  I really hope it helps!

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.