Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My Officejet Pro x576dw is now over a year old.  It worked perfectly until today.  At first, I had a two inch gap on the center of my page where black ink stopped printing.  After running several cycles of printhead cleaning things got worse.  All black ink disappeared.  The Print Quality Report showed my colors perfectly along with  two perfect gray bars but the black was totally missing.  Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this and how to fix it? 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

> Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this and how to fix it? 

Print head has malfunctioned for black ink.  The grey that you are seeing is a combo of the color cartridges that are functioning correctly.  The only options are to clean or replace the print heads for this printer.  Sometimes printheads are built into the cartridge.  In that case all you have to do is swap the cartridge and clean the contacts to be good to go.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

HP Recommended
Spoiler

Hit the return button on the lower left LCD postion 4 times in sequence to access the service menu. Then OK and navigate to Printhead Diagnositics and then find "printhead recovery." Run this 2 minute process from 1-5 times and if the print quality is improving continue to run it as it should completely recover the print quality. 

Please let me know because I'm researching this problem that seems to be show up as drop printbar segments on yellow most frequently.  I'm shocked that HP is not putting more information on what could be the root cause of lost segments on these printbars. I think it's air getting inot the ink delivery system and it's difficult for the printer to reprime the ink delivery system after too much air accumulates but they are providing no assisstance. 

HP Recommended

Spoiler

Hit the return button on the lower left LCD postion 4 times in sequence to access the service menu. Then OK and navigate to Printhead Diagnositics and then find "printhead recovery." Run this 2 minute process from 1-5 times and if the print quality is improving continue to run it as it should completely recover the print quality. 

Please let me know because I'm researching this problem that seems to be show up as drop printbar segments on yellow most frequently.  I'm shocked that HP is not putting more information on what could be the root cause of lost segments on these printbars. I think it's air getting inot the ink delivery system and it's difficult for the printer to reprime the ink delivery system after too much air accumulates but they are providing no assisstance. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.