Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 All-in-One Printer
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Hi,

I saw this question so I copied and pasted from someone else's question.

On my HP OfficeJet Pro 6978, many of my user settings are locked, and the message I receive says "The feature has been locked by the person who set up the printer."  I have moved my printer to a different wireless router, it won't connect and the Wireless Setup Wizard is inaccessible. Also, I can't access "Reset Factory Defaults". I don't know what I did.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @fmfarinacci,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like the printer settings have been locked by the person who initially set up the printer, which is why you're unable to change certain settings or access features like the Wireless Setup Wizard and Reset Factory Defaults.

Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue.

• Contact the Administrator: If you're part of an organization or if someone else initially set up the printer, try contacting them to see if they can provide you with the necessary credentials to unlock the settings or assist with reconfiguring the printer.
  • Perform a Hard Reset: Sometimes, performing a hard reset on the printer can unlock certain settings. To do this, locate the reset button on your printer (usually found on the back or underside) and press and hold it for about 10-15 seconds. This should reset the printer to its default settings, allowing you to set it up again from scratch.
  • Connect via USB: If you're having trouble connecting to the new wireless router, try temporarily connecting the printer to your computer using a USB cable. This should allow you to access the printer settings and reconfigure the wireless connection.
  • Access the Web Interface: Some printers have a web interface that allows you to access advanced settings and configure network options. Try accessing the printer's web interface by entering its IP address into a web browser. From there, you may be able to reset the printer settings or configure the wireless connection.
  • Update Firmware: Check if there are any firmware updates available for your printer. Updating the firmware may resolve certain issues and unlock additional features or settings.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.