Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Pro MFP 4102fdn

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone here might know the answer to a question I have.

I used to have an HP LaserJet Enterprise 600 M602n, and we used it to print out orders. Sadly, it died on us.

We replaced it with an HP LaserJet Pro MFP 4102fdn.

However, when we used to print with the old printer, it would generate a barcode based on some settings on our software on the paper. With the MFP 4102fdn, it now only provides a string of characters starting with "dp0" followed by numbers and letters. Does anybody know what might be missing here?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

HI @rkappers,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like the issue you're encountering with your HP LaserJet Pro MFP 4102fdn might be related to the printer's configuration or compatibility with barcode fonts or the software you are using. Here are a few steps you could take to troubleshoot and resolve the issue:

Check Printer Drivers and Software Compatibility:

• Ensure that you have the correct and most up-to-date printer drivers installed for the HP LaserJet Pro MFP 4102fdn. Printer drivers can affect how the printer interprets data sent from your software, especially for specialized tasks like barcode printing.
  • Verify that the software you're using to generate barcodes is compatible with your new printer. Sometimes, specific software features require certain capabilities from the printer.

Barcode Fonts:

• Check if the barcode fonts used previously on the HP LaserJet Enterprise 600 M602n are installed on the new printer. Barcode fonts might not be standard on all printers and may need to be installed separately.
  • If the barcode fonts are not present on the new printer, you might need to install them. This can usually be done by transferring the font files to the printer’s memory or linking them through the printer’s settings.

Printer Language Settings:

• The string of characters starting with "dp0" suggests that there may be a misinterpretation or a default setting being applied due to a lack of proper command interpretation. This could be due to the printer language setting (e.g., PCL, PostScript) not matching what your software expects.
  • If your previous printer used a different printer language or version, adjusting the settings on your new printer to match might help. Check if your software specifies a particular printer language and configure your new printer accordingly.

Consult the Printer Manual or Support:

• Refer to the user manual for the HP LaserJet Pro MFP 4102fdn for specific instructions on installing fonts and configuring barcode settings.
  • HP’s customer support can also provide guidance specific to your model, which might include firmware updates or specific drivers for barcode printing.

Test Different Settings:

• Try printing test pages with different settings or from different software to identify if the issue is specific to the software or a general compatibility issue with the printer.

Software Settings:

• Review the settings in the software you use for order printing. There might be specific configurations or export options that need adjustment for the new printer model.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Does the printer support the Type 39 font? If it does, how can I add it or enable it? I'm using the latest drivers, but the user manual doesn't provide much information.

If it's not supported, please let me know.

HP Recommended

Hi @rkappers ,

We are sorry that the issue is not resolved when the above troubleshooting steps were performed.

This might require one-on-one interaction to fix the issue via remote assistance. 

Unfortunately, there are no further actions we can take through this channel. I recommend reaching out to our phone support for further assistance.

1. Click on this link -  https://support.hp.com/us-en

2. Select the country.

3. Enter the serial number of your device.

4. Select the country from the drop-down.

5. Click on "Show Options".

6. Fill out the web form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance.

Have a great day!

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.