Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
CM4540
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So my HP CM4540 now prints very slow. prints first 5 copies off very fast then goes to a crawl 1 sheet every 20seconds , my inkjet prints faster.

Ive reinstall drivers

I've Factory resett the print (now this works but after about an hour the the problem comes back)

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Install HP Universal print driver PCL6 and try printing with them.

https://support.hp.com/hr-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-color-laserjet-enterprise-cm4540-mfp-series/4073... 

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

A way to determine if you have an issue with the printer or with the driver or your network is to make 50 copies of a document or use the print test in the troubleshooting menu to print 50 pages. If you get the same slow down making copies then you have a hardware issue. if the 50 copies come off fine, then as posted by @Valsimot you likely have either driver issue or possibly a network issue that is bottlenecking your print speed.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Hi thanks 

The printer will do photocopies no problem 

Do I know it's a driver/ software issue

Have uninstalled driver/software and then installed universal pcl6 driver and one computer works well but the other 2 computers still print 5 then 1 sheet every 20 seconds

HP Recommended

Are the workstations printing direct to the printer or through a print server?

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

ive uninstalled the HP software and then installed  the universal PCL6 driver.

nothing changed still printed  the first 5 copies nice and fast and then 1 sheet every 20 seconds.

interesting tho i did a factory reset and  then printed the same document  perfect and fast  but the next day  printed the same document again same old thing first 5 copies fast then 1 sheet every 20 seconds

HP Recommended

they do the same via usb printer cable or over network, the document is 1 page  but need 50 copies , so does the 1st 5 copies really fast then slows 1 copy every 20seconds

HP Recommended

printing from the printer ie copier and reports everything is fine its when you print a document or page more than 5 copies it seems to struggle. 1st 5 sheets come out fast then 1 sheet every 20 seconds even when its a single page document and you need 50 copies  it does the same

HP Recommended

recent development .

I have uninstalled all the hp software from one of the computers and the installed the PCL6 universal driver.

went to print document 1 page 50 times same thing happens 5 sheets in slows down, but when i sent to manual tray (tray 1) no problem prints nice and fast, 

does that mean its the PC or Printer?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.